LS Build: In Progress

Like Tree34Likes

LS Build: In Progress

Old 02-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 94 Sunsation Dominator

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
Where are you getting the bell housing, starter, front belt system etc? Pretty much the marine parts.
Bell housings and front mounts I have as I kept them from when I parted my blower motors. Using ict billet low mount truck spacing alternator bracket and ps. Ls1 camaro pump. Starters and alternators frim late model salvage yard. All super low mileage stuff. Crank driven water pumps I alrady have using marine power mounts for ls. Moroso remote thermostat is in the works now for cooling control rather than hardin.

Last edited by mggdoors; 02-05-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Registered

My Boat: 98 Checkmate 253 408ci LSX

Originally Posted by mggdoors View Post

Bell housings and front mounts I have as I kept them from when I parted my blower motors. Using ict billet low mount truck spacing alternator bracket and ps. Ls1 camaro pump. Starters and alternators frim late model salvage yard. All super low mileage stuff. Crank driven water pumps I alrady have using marine power mounts for ls. Moroso remote thermostat is in the works now for cooling control rather than hardin.
I ran a set up very similar to that when I first put the engine in. A brass crank mount pump into Moroso LS/BBC water pump adapters and a crossover into a Moroso remote t-stat. I was not happy with how it cooled the engine. Temps were very erratic. I ended up going with the Hardin setup, but I run it as open cooling. Yes, it was expensive, but it works and looks great. Now, I am thinking about going with a ProCharger on the engine, so the Hardin stuff will have to go, but I have been talking with a guy who makes a really nice bracket that bolts into the stock LS A/C location as uses a Merc style raw water pump. Using that, you can run stock style accessories including a circulating pump. He is much cheaper than the Hardin pump as well. Might be worth looking into.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by corey331 View Post
I ran a set up very similar to that when I first put the engine in. A brass crank mount pump into Moroso LS/BBC water pump adapters and a crossover into a Moroso remote t-stat. I was not happy with how it cooled the engine. Temps were very erratic. I ended up going with the Hardin setup, but I run it as open cooling. Yes, it was expensive, but it works and looks great. Now, I am thinking about going with a ProCharger on the engine, so the Hardin stuff will have to go, but I have been talking with a guy who makes a really nice bracket that bolts into the stock LS A/C location as uses a Merc style raw water pump. Using that, you can run stock style accessories including a circulating pump. He is much cheaper than the Hardin pump as well. Might be worth looking into.
I have it figured out where I can run the circulating pump with the moroso thermostat housing which will keep temps consistent. I will draw it up tonight and post it. Very simple afgordble setup. No need for block adapters. The crossover is why you had inconsistent temps.
Old 02-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: 12 meter

Originally Posted by mggdoors View Post

I was going to go with a 1050 annular with wet flow of 970. I ended up going 950 with 860 wet flow to maintain better cruise afr and response as well as off idle response
Just playing. 950's would be my first choice on those ls builds among many other within that hp range. That's what Dennis r used on his and once set up right to my understanding they worked out well. They were new PS 950 carbs originally built and calibrated for 454/177 sc builds. Dennis put the coon tune on them tailored to his builds.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

junk yard automotive alternator and starter??
Old 02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by phragle View Post
junk yard automotive alternator and starter??
Yep. 8k miles on one set. 20K on other. Game on. $120 for all 4 vs 5-600 d585 junkyard coils too. Everything else brand new though
getrdunn likes this.

Last edited by mggdoors; 02-05-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:15 PM
Registered

I thought marine starters and alternators were sealed units?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boat: 22 Avanti, 25 Nova, 2 turtle doves and a partridge in a pear tree,SBYC

I recently had a friend engulfed in flames when the key was turned on a boat that was meticulously maintained with all marine components........

Marine rated starters and alternators aren't that expensive and cheaper than a burn unit vacation or a funeral.....

Just sayin........
Old 02-06-2019, 07:09 AM
Registered

My Boat: 98 Checkmate 253 408ci LSX

Originally Posted by phragle View Post
I recently had a friend engulfed in flames when the key was turned on a boat that was meticulously maintained with all marine components........

Marine rated starters and alternators aren't that expensive and cheaper than a burn unit vacation or a funeral.....

Just sayin........

I went with marine grade starter and alternator on mine. That being said, the stock LS stuff is sealed from everything I have read.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by corey331 View Post
I went with marine grade starter and alternator on mine. That being said, the stock LS stuff is sealed from everything I have read.
Who sells the marine stuff?

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser