Aftermarket Ignition >

Aftermarket Ignition

Notices

Aftermarket Ignition

Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions

i don’t think locked timing is the best option. That’s where a box like Daytona comes in handy. With delayed starting, idle stabilazation, and custom curves. Don’t think it’s necessarily a good idea to have 36° of timing coming on plane. You can get defiemiely get a better tune to the engine with a custom setup
Understood, cold starts is just one reason to get rid of the Thunderbolt. Having that options of some aftermarket ignitions. I am unfortunately Carburated and a bit limited on the tune. I do miss blown and injected. That was another life and boat though.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 251 Likes on 100 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RBeyer
That's why I'm asking!
since they FUUKed me on a pair of ****ty starters, ( and you know the sheer joy involved in pulling engines from our boats) i'm on a one man mission to warn everyone about MSD. seriously , im no expert but my dyno guy was ever impressed at the versatility of the daytona boxes.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Understood, cold starts is just one reason to get rid of the Thunderbolt. Having that options of some aftermarket ignitions. I am unfortunately Carburated and a bit limited on the tune. I do miss blown and injected. That was another life and boat though.
thats why I’m advocating the Daytona’s. I’m carbbed also. They helped my idle dramatically. The idle stabilization throws timing at it as needed to keep it above a certain rpm. Fun to watch on a timing light. I think they would perfect for you. Go to their site and you can check out the software and parameters. Really cool stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 670 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Craney
DUi
good luck w/ them,,I've seen a few of them from quality control issues come apart.and more than once fck up a motor or 2.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 251 Likes on 100 Posts

i dont know how much power you are going to make, but i have 557 cid and 650 hp , mine idle like stock, dont make your eyes water with raw fuel and dont stumble accelerating.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,476 Likes on 801 Posts

What are the thoughts on best aftermarket ignition? Of course we have MSD I am also hearing good things about CD-1. Any of the pro's out there have thoughts? I am looking to do full system to include coils and distributors.
Are you still using the t- bolt distributors? If so and in good shape I'd use them in a heartbeat. I used them years ago on some 454-SC mega blower builds and worked flawlessly. regardless of what you choose to do with distributors the Daytona will be a great addition and much appreciated to your hawks and future SC builds. The cranes were no doubt a nice piece also however not available if I'm not mistaking. Not 100% certain but seems like I either read or heard Daytona bought out or had something to do with the crane tech. Don't quote me on that but both very reliable. I do not believe the hi-6m ign boxes are being manufactured anymore.

I dont think there is an obsession with DUI rather just an OPTION for some builds. Over the years I've seen many stock GM hei in boats. Ya not cool but true nor coastguard approved. At the very least handy for troubleshooting.

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-21-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Repeated word
Old 01-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Just my opinion, I went to the Daytona CD-1 boxes on my engines and would recommend them, I'm using the Mercury hall effect distributor and built my specific timing programs, idle stabilization, programed Rev limiters, running Procharged, Carbed engines. they are awesome and have preformed flawless for 4 years now. if I were you I would look into them and see if they will meet your needs.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
good luck w/ them,,I've seen a few of them from quality control issues come apart.and more than once fck up a motor or 2.
l like them because they’re simple and easy just one wire. I would like to hear about the one’s that failed.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 670 Likes on 340 Posts

reluctor wheel wasn't not attached to shaft
module failed
then 1 week the bushings let go,shaft was wobbling,then next week the other distr, lost its bushings and shat went up and wiped out distr. cap.
then another friend had them lose bushings and siezed up on brand new motors last year.

so good luck w/ them,,I'll stick to small cap hei's using only 2 wires to hook up and gm potted coils,,bullet proof.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
since they FUUKed me on a pair of ****ty starters, ( and you know the sheer joy involved in pulling engines from our boats) i'm on a one man mission to warn everyone about MSD. seriously , im no expert but my dyno guy was ever impressed at the versatility of the daytona boxes.
A marine mechanic friend of mine said the dyno guys are liking them a lot!