Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
More HP and prop blowout >

More HP and prop blowout

Notices

More HP and prop blowout

Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless something is wrong with the prop - adding HP will not change the planing attitude of a boat unless weight has changed drastically.
Even if You changed from stock cast iron exhaust to headers and stock iron heads to aluminum ones I can't see that causing a boat to not get on plane.
If you went with an aftermarket heavy block it wouldn't add enough weight to make the boat stern heavy.
something has changed besides the HP
Old 03-04-2019, 07:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

All the rotten wood was in the floors of the cockpit mainly...stringers were good was just the floor and 2 bulkheads...there was a small piece in the floor of the cabin that I replaced but went back with glassed marine plywood..the block is original just bored..the only weight gain in the rear is the blower and some accessories...now to be fair I was running it without the rear seat which is maybe 100-150 pounds I would guess but I can't imagine that would cause much of an issue?? Have to pull the boat off the trailer to do some trailer work so I will def check the bottom with a straight edge...hoping its just something with the prop but will def do some investigating! thanks guys!!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Try a 5 blade prop. Hydromotive P5X’s are a good all around 5 blades. Mercuty Max 5/blade are a little bigger diameter with more blade area. Some boats like the Hydromotive, other the Mercury. The Mercury is supposed to be harder on lower units and costs 3-4 hundred more. I bet either 5 blade will fix your boat.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:26 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

That's on the list if this 4 blade I have doesn't work...all the heat threads I see talk about the p5x being the prop of choice but those are all stepped hulls...mine is a "straight bottom" so may try one if all else fails..I am nursing an XR so the extra blade is a little scary hahaha
Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the same issue, rebuilt the motor picked up a bunch of horsepower and stock prop breaks out with anything over half throttle. Once on plane I can hammer it. Nothing else has changed I have found changing the prop does help. Just acquired a labbed 30P 4 blade that I will test when the ice melts. Adding cup will help the prop bite on launch.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably need a higher pitched prop. If you added 200hp and still have the same prop as b4 it would be like putting donut tires on a 1/4 mile drag car.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Agreed..and I'm planning on having to reprop but just for a shakedown kinda tuning cruise I left the original...and like I said it wouldn't grab for crap lol...I think first plan is to try my labbed 30 with a little extra cup and see if that remedies it
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd try a set of unmolested 32p bravo 1s. I'd avoid using a 5 blade prop on a bravo drive high hp single engine boat.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I talked to brett yesterday from bblades and he has some ideas on things we can try...he agreed about the 5 blade on a bravo like you just said...gonna try a worked 4 blade first and see where that goes...he also said without actually being there his guess is the couple hundred pound weight difference from the rear seat and hatch being out could easily have caused my blowout issue..he did say too that if we do go with a 5 blade for cruise speed which I'm ultimately going to be after that his 5 speed or if I can find a p5x would be a better choice over a maximus or the like as they bite less and will be easier on my drive....I know I'm on borrowed time with the bravo and my power level obviously so she will get babied hardcore out of the hole and no hard holeshots from mid range etc. Hopefully I can get her to stay together until I can get an imco upper or something else equivalent