98 454 Mag Mpi mid range missfire >

98 454 Mag Mpi mid range missfire

Notices

98 454 Mag Mpi mid range missfire

Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sounds like timing and fuel mapping needs to be fixed, Id get someone in the boat that can tune that MEFI..........where are you located
Old 05-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Sounds like timing and fuel mapping needs to be fixed, Id get someone in the boat that can tune that MEFI..........where are you located
im located in Riverside New Jersey
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

NOT to sound harsh but lets ask what dealer - a marine certified dealer and of what brands ?? why would whatever dealer out of the blue just come up with the boat needs bigger injectors ?? IMO they sound like they know nothing about marine engine systems unless what was the reasons for bigger injectors and they have have that correct answer.

If I were you I would find out what exactly you have for an engine and set up - then find a real marine shop that can get you up and running correctly.

Posting up here without eyes - ears - hands and proper diagnostics tools is not the way to go about fixing your app. Total waste of time and money for you inwhich is throwing darts at a unknown dart board.for everyone.

. Your engine possible might have a totally mix match set up with totally wrong and systems installed that might never run correctly.. So what is stock parts on your app and what is not stock on your engine ? What ecm do you have ? Where did you buy this boat ? who did the engine - the past owner of the boat ? anyways good luck

Last edited by BUP; 05-07-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
NOT to sound harsh but lets ask what dealer - a marine certified dealer and of what brands ?? why would whatever dealer out of the blue just come up with the boat needs bigger injectors ?? IMO they sound like they know nothing about marine engine systems unless what was the reasons for bigger injectors and they have have that correct answer.

If I were you I would find out what exactly you have for an engine and set up - then find a real marine shop that can get you up and running correctly.

Posting up here without eyes - ears - hands and proper diagnostics tools is not the way to go about fixing your app. Total waste of time and money for you inwhich is throwing darts at a unknown dart board.for everyone.

. Your engine possible might have a totally mix match set up with totally wrong and systems installed that might never run correctly.. So what is stock parts on your app and what is not stock on your engine ? What ecm do you have ? Where did you buy this boat ? who did the engine - the past owner of the boat ? anyways good luck
the dealer did all the engine work new
larger injectors
cam / roller rockers
stock flashed ecm
Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

You'll need all the part #s(broken record here) and then call,or better yet...visit a place that reprograms the MEFI ECU's.

All EFI engines (cars, boats, sleds, motorcycles,etc) ,when things are changed (especially cams/inectors.etc) needs to go thru this.

There are a few good programmers avail by phone but that is 2nd to having someone be able to do it in person. Hopefully someone here knows of one in our state.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

borrow a intake manifold&carb and install it,you just might be pleasently suprised.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

May sound crazy but have you verified your exhaust is good? Had an issue with the 454 in my Powerquest - misfired under light load in midrange rpm and seemed to clear up when wide open. Turned out midrange operation produced enough pressure for leaks that killed a couple cylinders, wide open it wasn’t really noticeable other than losing 200 rpm on top end. Would be easy to rule out in your case by looking at plugs and pulling risers and looking.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Powerquest230
May sound crazy but have you verified your exhaust is good? Had an issue with the 454 in my Powerquest - misfired under light load in midrange rpm and seemed to clear up when wide open. Turned out midrange operation produced enough pressure for leaks that killed a couple cylinders, wide open it wasn’t really noticeable other than losing 200 rpm on top end. Would be easy to rule out in your case by looking at plugs and pulling risers and looking.
it has emi thunder stainless looks pretty clean I guess I could seperate then and check them out, but black smoke makes me think it’s realky an injector issue or lack of spark
Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
You'll need all the part #s(broken record here) and then call,or better yet...visit a place that reprograms the MEFI ECU's.

All EFI engines (cars, boats, sleds, motorcycles,etc) ,when things are changed (especially cams/inectors.etc) needs to go thru this.

There are a few good programmers avail by phone but that is 2nd to having someone be able to do it in person. Hopefully someone here knows of one in our state.
i appreciate your input, I’ll check into someone local
Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Registered

Found The Schrader Valve under the front of the manifold behind the pvc vacuum motor is a 98 looked up serial number. So at idle she had 85-90 psi fuel pressure :0 😮 what’s the best route to go from here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.