Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK >

Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK

Notices

Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK

Old 07-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil filter attached to valve covers LEAK

Hello all, I use to have an account here when I was a bit younger but cannot for the life of me remember what the info was. I am located in Port Clinton Ohio and do all of my boating on Lake Erie, about a month ago, I picked up an 87 24 Pantera with a 400 small block. The boat is far from perfect however it runs out very well, I have put over 20 hours on her so far this past month and to be honest they are pretty hard hours. I cruise around 4000 rpm, to put me right around 50 mph, motor redlines at 5k.

Anyway, this pump, or whatever it is, started spewing oil out the filter this past weekend. When under load, I lost 1 quart of oil at 3,000 rpm during a 5 minute test run. I should add, 3,000 rpm was all the boat would give me, it could barely even plane off because as I throttled up I could only see about 2,000 until it planed. I am not a mechanic, and am not use to an engine like this. What I am wondering, is any reasons why this could be happening, what part this is, and what steps I should take to replace it.

The part is a metal cylinder with 2 hoses that attach to the valve covers. The metal cylinder has small springs inside and on top a filter is attached. The leak is coming directly from the filter of this unit.

A buddy of mine said just bypass this unit entirely and close the valve covers, not sure if that would.be the safest thing?? It has made an absolute mess of my engine compartment, everything is soaked in oil, granted, I own a detailing company, and this isn't the worst thing ever. Still very frustrating. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by PremierDetailer; 07-09-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

pics would help greatly....im picturing a common log to vent crank case gasses but im not 100% sure what it is you actually have there.....most valve cover vents should be going to the air filter/flame arrestor to recirculate the gasses back into the motor....
you need 10 posts to put up pictures so you can just post 4 more times with a count down in each posting.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 AM
Registered

Old 07-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Registered

Here are a couple pics of boat as well, maybe someone knows the boat, supposedly only had 2 owners before me.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:11 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Ah OK...thats a catch can with a breather....should really only be used on a car since you are potentially venting un-burnt combustion gasses into the engine compartment of the boat. I would start by looking under the valve covers as to why the oil is getting forced out them to this point...is there sludge under there causing the oil to back up and out? is there a baffle missing under the valve cover that should be keeping the oil from getting out? Maybe a leak-down test is in order on the motor? Possible you have too much blow-by causing the crank case to be pressurized and blowing the oil out....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

good looking boat by the way

Old 07-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Ah OK...thats a catch can with a breather....should really only be used on a car since you are potentially venting un-burnt combustion gasses into the engine compartment of the boat. I would start by looking under the valve covers as to why the oil is getting forced out them to this point...is there sludge under there causing the oil to back up and out? is there a baffle missing under the valve cover that should be keeping the oil from getting out? Maybe a leak-down test is in order on the motor? Possible you have too much blow-by causing the crank case to be pressurized and blowing the oil out....
Thank you much Wally, so if this is meant for a car, should I convert this to a different setup?? This motor seems pretty damn dangerous to me if I am being honest. It does not even have a bilge blower. Will be pulling valve covers today to investigate further. That catch can was literally full of oil when I pulled it, sounds like it's not suppose to be that way? When I start the motor with the part installed within 30 seconds of idling it is billowing white smoke from the breather.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
good looking boat by the way
Also thank you! I've wanted a Pantera for about 7 years now and although I wanted a 28, the market is tight and this little 24 fit the bill.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

On a "normal" boat setup you would have those hoses coming from the valve covers and attached to the flame arrestor where it would suck the unburned gasses back into the motor. If you are seeing smoke almost as soon as you start it up id say the rings on the pistons are seized or the cyl walls are scored and you have excessive blow-by getting past the rings and into the crank case. i would do a leak down test on that motor and see how things are sealing......sounds like its got ALOT of blowby!! see the pics i attached...if you look at the air cleaner (flame arrestor) you will two hoses coming up and attaching to it...those are the same hoses coming off the valve covers...that's how it "should" be setup. And you should make getting a bilge blower a priority as well!!!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

oh and yes that catch can should be empty...its really designed more to trap the oil mist that normally would get sucked back into the engine...on a car where your engine compartment has tons a fresh air going around it you can vent it under the hood...on a boat where heavier gas fumes collect at the bottom of the boats bilge...you are asking for trouble!

Last edited by Wally; 07-09-2019 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.