Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Good, honest advice wanted. >

Good, honest advice wanted.

Notices

Good, honest advice wanted.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:44 AM
DonMan

According to most prop sources, I am propped right already. According to Merc, the operating range of my engine is 4200-4600. I am turning 4650 with the 23P Mirage Plus. I`ve asked around and 99% of Hammer owners are running a 23P Mirage or Mirage Plus. I feel like I`m leaving some speed on the table. I guess I need to try some different props or just talk to a reliable prop person and see what gives.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

877-842-6855....they know what's up!...tell 'em joey said get to work on my props!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Don Man

I have a 2001 Hammer with the 7.4 MPI, same as yours. I too have the 23 pitch Mirage Plus, but it is stock. With just me in the boat and a half a tank of gas, I constantly hit the rev limiter. My tack says that is happening at 4550. I think the tack could be off, as I thought the rev limiter was supposed to cut in around 4750 or 4800. I do not know that to be fact however. The speedometer was showing a solid 70. I am sure it is not accurate, but I have never run with a GPS. I tried a friends 25" Quicksilver and the speed went to 71.5 but the rpm's dropped to 4450. It no longer hit the rev limiter and the hole shot was a little softer but not bad. If you have changed the exhaust and flame arester and are hitting the rev limiter, you will likely find more speed with more pitch. If you try another prop, post your results. It should be interesting.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:48 AM
Brad Perry

Default Thanks, Wette

I measured mine a long time back when Cord first mentioned that method and came up with 5.25" (I think that is right). That means that my drive is 2.5" inches deeper than yours

You mentioned on another thread that you had a buddy that had a shorty lower that didn't work for him. Can check into what he would want for it? Is it just the case, or is it packed? I'm in a bit of a quandry: My drive is back together after the u-joint fiasco and seems to behave well. I also have a brand new Bam XR as a backup. On top of all of this, I am thinking of selling the boat. But if it behaves well in spring, I may push that out.

Do you have any before/after performance figures with the shorty?

Old 11-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy bought it for $2500.00 and used it for 15 minutes. It didn't work on his hull. I think he would like to get the $2500 back if he could, but I know he is the kind of guy to accept reasonable offers. It is a complete bottom and is supposed to have upgraded IMCO parts, but I cannot confirm that. If you are interested let me know and I will forward an offer to him or have him give you a call.
Old 11-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Brad Perry

Thanks. Can I ask what kind of boat this did not work well on?

Old 11-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eliminator 234 Edge. Mod V hull design. My opinion is he gave up on it to soon. He got 98 MPH compared to 100 MPH on the standard with the same prop. If he would have experimented with some props I think he could have gotten a little more out of the shorty. With the shorty the bow running low and the boat felt a little "glued in" and it wasn't freeing up quite like the standard.
Old 11-08-2002, 11:36 PM
DonMan

Originally posted by Ray Walters
Hey Don Man

I have a 2001 Hammer with the 7.4 MPI, same as yours. I too have the 23 pitch Mirage Plus, but it is stock. With just me in the boat and a half a tank of gas, I constantly hit the rev limiter. My tack says that is happening at 4550. I think the tack could be off, as I thought the rev limiter was supposed to cut in around 4750 or 4800. I do not know that to be fact however. The speedometer was showing a solid 70. I am sure it is not accurate, but I have never run with a GPS. I tried a friends 25" Quicksilver and the speed went to 71.5 but the rpm's dropped to 4450. It no longer hit the rev limiter and the hole shot was a little softer but not bad. If you have changed the exhaust and flame arester and are hitting the rev limiter, you will likely find more speed with more pitch. If you try another prop, post your results. It should be interesting.
I was told the rev-limiter was set at 4750. My tach shows 4700 when I`ve hit it. I would love to try a bigger prop. Maybe I`ll try and find one come spring. I`m also talking with a prop dealer about my options.
Thanks!