Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
O2 Sensor question >

O2 Sensor question

Like Tree6Likes

O2 Sensor question

Reply

Old 08-13-2019, 11:04 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 67
Default O2 Sensor question

Are any of you that run Holley HP EFI having a hard time with O2 sensor longevity? I was wondering if the moisture from Headers is killing my sensor.
Cerberus66 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM
  #2
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
My Boat: 1997 Baja Islander 272
Posts: 2,554
Default

This guy has worked wonders for me.

EVIL ENERGY O2 Oxygen Sensor Bung M18x1.5 Copper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G81XZZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yjUuDbNF6YSVJ
Baja Rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 67
Default

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
This guy has worked wonders for me.

EVIL ENERGY O2 Oxygen Sensor Bung M18x1.5 Copper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G81XZZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yjUuDbNF6YSVJ
so you had this issue then? can you elaborate a little more on the issues you had?
Cerberus66 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:36 PM
  #4
LS1
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 43
Default

There will always be moisture in a marine exhaust, the moisture/condensation will ultimately render the o2 sensor useless over time and you will have to replace them once in a while. Keep a spare with you. Or use an o2 bung as recommended by Baja above that will make it harder for the moisture to reach the o2 sensor.
LS1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 PM
  #5
Registered
iTrader: (4)
 
Rookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
My Boat: 37 Active Thunder, 30 Scarab Panther, 34 Wellcraft Gran Sport
Posts: 4,310
Default

Are you running the NTK sensors? I was told that they work better in the marine environment.
These help also.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INNOVATE-MO...gAAOSwhglTx8Y0
kvogt likes this.
Rookie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM
  #6
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 67
Default

No Im not yet. Im replacing with Bosch and will get a bing extension and see how that does first. I was told same thing by my tuner. They are 100 more per unit and last a little longer.
Cerberus66 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Are you running the NTK sensors? I was told that they work better in the marine environment.
These help also.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/INNOVATE-MO...gAAOSwhglTx8Y0
This is the piece I would recommend too. Made no difference in AFR readings either. I did back to back comparison.
kvogt likes this.
Trash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 AM
  #8
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
My Boat: 1997 Baja Islander 272
Posts: 2,554
Default

I never had any issues to begin with, but have always ran the Innovative bung extender from day one on my wideband.

When i put fuel injection on I got the 90 one that I listed as its pretty much the same but the bend allowed me to clock it so the sensor is way up away from the water. 50 or so hours so far and no issues.
Baja Rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 PM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 980
Default

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
I never had any issues to begin with, but have always ran the Innovative bung extender from day one on my wideband.

When i put fuel injection on I got the 90 one that I listed as its pretty much the same but the bend allowed me to clock it so the sensor is way up away from the water. 50 or so hours so far and no issues.
Just for more data I run that extender as well and have about 250 hrs of run time on the same O2 sensor.
Trash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:28 PM
  #10
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 67
Default

thanks guys, Ill be doing the same now. new O2 is on a slow truck from holley to me.............
Cerberus66 is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser