2016 Merc 8.2 hard starting

Notices

2016 Merc 8.2 hard starting

Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM
jjj
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Merc 8.2 hard starting

Anyone have any idea why this engine takes a lot of cranking before it starts ? As an example, if engine is shut down and restarted a very short time later (a minute maybe) it will crank and crank with no fire. Shut off key, wait a short time and retry, it will start with some cranking. It just never seems to want to start like a normal fuel injected engine hot or cold - turn key for gas pump pressurize then crank, always starts but not as easy as other fellow boaters with EFI engines. Otherwise, engine runs finel !
2016 8.2 bravo 3x 380 hp
batteries on #1, or 2 or both not much difference.
102 HRS
new fuel filter and white screen, no improvement.(Merc products)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

What is the engine serial number?

When cranking do you see the tach showing at least 300 rpm?
Does it start any faster if you give it a slight bit of throttle?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM
jjj
Registered

S/N 2A503967
Next time I use the boat, I will check the starting rpm and try a bit of throttle.

Thanks for the reply
Old 08-25-2019, 05:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

This a EC cat engine - the forums are not where you should look for info and I am saying this as experience from other boaters whom self inflict more damage in thousands with these exact engines.. There prob is not one person whom put a wrench on these cat engines up here nor ever scanned one so take that however but in a good way.

An example here of self inflicted damage --- a big back fire can blow a hole in the cats and if that happens its min of 5 to 6 k repair. My statements are to help but also want to ask why is a cert / EC boat dealer out of the question for the repair and see all issues at hand ?.

Next your issue(s) is POSSIBLE ??? - there is an new harness adaptor that has solved the NO start 8.2 s. Also there is some recalls and PCM recal updates for the 8.2 s thru out the years. All this is thru the dealer whom has special scan tools called dealer / Merc G3 for a jist of the info

Last edited by BUP; 08-25-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jjj
Anyone have any idea why this engine takes a lot of cranking before it starts ? As an example, if engine is shut down and restarted a very short time later (a minute maybe) it will crank and crank with no fire. Shut off key, wait a short time and retry, it will start with some cranking. It just never seems to want to start like a normal fuel injected engine hot or cold - turn key for gas pump pressurize then crank, always starts but not as easy as other fellow boaters with EFI engines. Otherwise, engine runs finel !
2016 8.2 bravo 3x 380 hp
batteries on #1, or 2 or both not much difference.
102 HRS
new fuel filter and white screen, no improvement.(Merc products)
Call Bob Shuter at Boat Repairs Plus there in Denver , they are Merc Service Dealers.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:24 PM
jjj
Registered

Boat has been looked at for this problem at the one merc dealer on lake norman and they found nothing.
Also, the engine wire harness was replaced last summer after engine died on the water because it had a short...
I would not do much of any fooling around on this engine because being a EC engine but I wanted to be a somewhat educate person when I go back to the dealer
Old 08-25-2019, 06:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Gen 3 cool fuel could be the issue here.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:33 PM
jjj
Registered

What type of problem, engine runs fine once started, idle up to top rpm (close to 5000)