Bravo Impeller Failure after 5 hours >

Bravo Impeller Failure after 5 hours

Notices

Bravo Impeller Failure after 5 hours

Old 11-01-2019, 11:39 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

glycerin is for hose installs as well. A lot of us Volvo techs use glycerin for that end as well. Even fuel line at the hose barb and gas tank barb
Old 11-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff View Post
You can buy it at drug stores. It is also what is in most liquid filled speedometers.
I've used dish soap for 20+ years and never had an impeller that did not last at least a full season. It lubricates until water hits it and then just washes out.
Same here Dawn dish soap and in 30+ years impellors have always lasted the season
Old 11-02-2019, 01:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Will add about my comments in a good way for whomever how one does with it. . I gave out the info what a couple of major marine oems and 2 impeller manufacturers per what they totally want installers to use for impeller installs - keep in mind the impeller manu s make impellers in the millions .. These same OEMs tested all forms of products to help for NO warranty claims / comebacks as that's what they are looking for ( the OEMs ) as close to zero warranty claims IF ALL POSSIBLE.. Anyways the info is provided here and a guess of -- 6000 impeller installs in 31 years on my end alone.. I am just passing the info on from the zillion OEM classes and material that I have sat in and paid for and continue currently updated with many OEMS.per what I do daily - .

Will add not all impellers are made of the exact composition so again its highly recommended to use the overall best products for the application during installation. It has been proven buy the million of impellers installed in the industry world wide yearly per OEMS recommendations. I tend to listen very closely and follow the companies whom do their homework and engineered testing. I just pass the info on and for free whomever wants it or not FWIW. . . that's all. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by BUP; 11-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP View Post
Will add about my comments in a good way for whomever how one does with it. . I gave out the info what a couple of major marine oems and 2 impeller manufacturers per what they totally want installers to use for impeller installs - keep in mind the impeller manu s make impellers in the millions .. These same OEMs tested all forms of products to help for NO warranty claims / comebacks as that's what they are looking for ( the OEMs ) as close to zero warranty claims IF ALL POSSIBLE.. Anyways the info is provided here and a guess of -- 6000 impeller installs in 31 years on my end alone.. I am just passing the info on from the zillion OEM classes and material that I have sat in and paid for and continue currently updated with many OEMS.per what I do daily - .

Will add not all impellers are made of the exact composition so again its highly recommended to use the overall best products for the application during installation. It has been proven buy the million of impellers installed in the industry world wide yearly per OEMS recommendations. I tend to listen very closely and follow the companies whom do their homework and engineered testing. I just pass the info on and for free whomever wants it or not FWIW. . . that's all. Thanks for listening.
Given your vast experience, what is your opinion on removing the impeller over the winter and reusing it a second season? Since I switched to a stainless pump housing my impellers are mint at the end of the season. By the time spring rolls around they show very little set in the vanes so I have been using them a second season. So far haven’t noticed any reduction in cooling.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:58 AM
BUP
Banned

Impellers are a maintenance item and they are not expensive - if you have the black plastic housing I would buy that kit in which averages cost for the kit is 100 bucks. Change it every year or if one sucked up a bunch of sand or crap in the water -- then flush the complete cooling system. Then change with new impeller kit. I would not let an impeller go over 2 years including the black housing.. Kills me when boaters say my impeller still should be new because I did not use my boat for 2 years. Right -- totally wrong the impeller blades forms fold over sets when sitting for 2 years or how many years -- kind like tires on a big heavy auto that has not MOVED in years - The tires will have flat spot on them.

Anyways in your case - if a good impeller is removed and not changed to new - it is NOT to be installed in the opposite direction of the rotation it was first installed. If the impeller is installed in the opposite rotation direction -- that doubles the chances for the impeller blades to break off.

Boaters whom ask me to check their impellers --- the labor is the same and an impeller is cheap cost so a new one is going in cause I do not nor will warranty a USED IMPELLER ever nor will the manu.

A new impeller for a gas marine engine average cost is 40 bucks. A bad impeller costs can lead to a new engine or at the very least a tow back to the docks. IMO a impeller that was pulled is not going to really cost that much more if you put a new one in its place. They can be like used lite bulbs - one min the bulb turns on the next switch turn on the bulb is blown. If its my boat I start out with new impellers every year and what goes along with it -- housing repair kit or if its the black plastic housing kit.

By far the strongest impeller I have seen and still do - This was about 10 years ago -- OEM Mercruiser GEN 2 alpha outdrive impeller. That impeller is like a tank. - this one was still pumping water -- 11 years old with about 300 hours on it. I doubt current manu alpha impellers would ever do that again. . The reason he brought it in was because of the engine warning horn going off.

Last edited by BUP; 11-03-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Had a buddy with a '95 Larson with a 5.0L/Alpha and when he sold it with almost 1,200 hours on it the impeller had only been replaced once (at around 500 or so hours and it was still in good shape).
Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I have a new, unopened impeller for my 496 ho that I bought on 05. Is it ok to use or should I buy a new one?

thanks
Old 11-09-2019, 01:06 PM
BUP
Banned

BUY a NEW ONE - its like 40 bucks for a brand new OEM impeller -