Bravo to #6 conversion? >

Bravo to #6 conversion?

Notices

Bravo to #6 conversion?

Old 12-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bravo to #6 conversion?

Anyone have good info on what it would take to convert a bravo boat to #6 drives? Say a Donzi ZR or fountain lightning that at least already has bravo ITS setup, so hydraulic steering already in place. Iíve done some searching but havenít turned up anything. Iím pretty sure the motors would have to go forward. So changing center of gravity? Or would they be able to stay put with the nxt6 setup? But those transmissions are a weak link? A bigger boat is in our future and it seems bravo boats are reasonably priced while most #6 boats are still probably out of my range. Thanks for any insight.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

By the time you buy drives, gimbals, trans, props it’s probably going to be a wash. Transom needs to be filled and re cut and motors need to move forward. It would make sense if you have a pair of number 6’s already laying around. Would be much cheaper to go with ssm 3’s 4’s or 5’s.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 View Post
By the time you buy drives, gimbals, trans, props itís probably going to be a wash. Transom needs to be filled and re cut and motors need to move forward. It would make sense if you have a pair of number 6ís already laying around. Would be much cheaper to go with ssm 3ís 4ís or 5ís.
Why would the 3.4.5's be cheaper? Doesn't the transom still need filled and cut, plus of course motors moved forward.

How easy is it to find parts for 5's?
Old 12-19-2019, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Depending on the HP you are going to run, you could go complete imco scx and gain the reliability and its a plug and play, you can even use the ITS box with a imco helmet, no changing engine position at all.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a 42 Fountain floating around with SSM 4s. Needs power but all rigging is there including three fourths of the exhaust. Mid $40s i believe. Glassdave did the transom and stringers right before the #4s were installed.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
Why would the 3.4.5's be cheaper? Doesn't the transom still need filled and cut, plus of course motors moved forward.

How easy is it to find parts for 5's?
price of parts is why it would be cheaper, also as Rob said the scx conversation would be by far the easiest way to reliability.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I run a SCX-4 now but with an imco ext box and transom assembly. I’m my opinion the SCX drives are a lot of weight for a bravo transom assembly especially if running big cleaver props.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 View Post
price of parts is why it would be cheaper, also as Rob said the scx conversation would be by far the easiest way to reliability.
Agree on the SCX, isn't it hard to get SSV parts now? Curious because you will see them on some boats here and there and I thought part availability would suck.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Geeez it must be winter.............buy one done
Old 12-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a thread on it 42 poker run rerig. Went from a bravo ITS stagger to a 6 stagger. It is not a bolt in job nothing swaps. You will have to fill and recut your transom. Options include buying new or used. Nxt transmission or conventional. Transom assembly if you go with the original 6 drive you have a choice between dry and wet sump. Then you have to get driveline or plug in. If you go with the newer nxt m series the drive line and plug in are the same assembly. You just add the plug in or drive line adapter to the inner transom assembly. Wet sump has a oil reservoir on the inner plate for drive oil. Drives are either wet or dry sump. Wet being they are full of oil like a bravo. Dry they are only filled to the top of lower unit they have a pump in the nose cone that pumps oil to upper unit gears and bearings. Motors will have to move forward for transmissions. You will need bell housings and a new drive shaft. You will also have to add external water pick up. You will have to change your helm pump as the 6 drives have a different rating than the bravos. If you leave it it will take more turns to go from lock to lock. I'm sure I've forgotten some things but this is a general idea. If you want to you can PM me your phone number and I would be glad to share what I did.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser