Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need help choosing 454 mpi Cam!?!?!?! >

Need help choosing 454 mpi Cam!?!?!?!

Notices

Need help choosing 454 mpi Cam!?!?!?!

Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does, but its not programmed for the motor either. Story is he was building the setup for himself and collecting pieces as needed but life got in the way and hes got another child on the way so the wife has shut down boat building plans.

Heres a list of whats been done to the motor-Rebuilt 1997 Mercruiser Magnum 454, .030 over.
4 bolt main, block #
Was pressure tested prior to machining.
Fresh rebuild, as pictured.
Cam info in pictures. Piston part number in pictures.
Engine has forged gm performance crank,
factory forged rods,
sealed power forged pistons,
comp cams cam shaft part # CBVI- XR276-HR-10
Factory roller lifters,
Factory non roller rockers.
New valve springs- some info in one of the pics.
Gm performance 088 heads (rect port), all freshened up, valve job, seals, springs, ARP head bolts.
New gaskets..
NO intake or carb. ( Was an EFI motor)

Oiled and sealed up.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Unless you have someone to tune the efi, THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, you will phuck sh!t up. Car EFI uses oxygen sensors that read whether it is running rich or lean. Your marine EFI dies not have this. So it will not be able to self figure out the correct a/f ratio, The rev limiter is different too.....
FYI..the 17 year old kid down the street with the honda civic nor the 22 year old kid down the street with the rusted out dodge turbo diesel belching black smoke will be able to tune it either...

A good marine engine/dyno shop should be able to make it run great. A decent manifold and carb could also be easily set up.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Unless you have someone to tune the efi, THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, you will phuck sh!t up. Car EFI uses oxygen sensors that read whether it is running rich or lean. Your marine EFI dies not have this. So it will not be able to self figure out the correct a/f ratio, The rev limiter is different too.....
FYI..the 17 year old kid down the street with the honda civic nor the 22 year old kid down the street with the rusted out dodge turbo diesel belching black smoke will be able to tune it either...

A good marine engine/dyno shop should be able to make it run great. A decent manifold and carb could also be easily set up.
I do have a local shop that can tune it if I stick with EFI, he's a reputable builder and has built plenty of motors for guys all over the place, everything from performance marine, dirt car and even worked on "my way" the turbine driven 50' outerlimits cat hull located right here in the 1000 islands.

Back to my original question though....does my 454 MPI intake and injectors work on a 454 MAG if I get it tuned properly? or will it not flow enough air and fuel for the mag motor?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by philchase800
I do have a local shop that can tune it if I stick with EFI, he's a reputable builder and has built plenty of motors for guys all over the place, everything from performance marine, dirt car and even worked on "my way" the turbine driven 50' outerlimits cat hull located right here in the 1000 islands.

Back to my original question though....does my 454 MPI intake and injectors work on a 454 MAG if I get it tuned properly? or will it not flow enough air and fuel for the mag motor?
Ask the guy at your local shop that has tuned plenty of motors, he should know.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wouldn't recommend installing a round port truck intake on rectangular port heads with a bit more cam.sell the mpi pieces and go with a holley 750 or 780 double pumper or source a early mpi mag injection make sure you have your timing Control for the dist.if you go carb
Old 02-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
Wouldn't recommend installing a round port truck intake on rectangular port heads with a bit more cam.sell the mpi pieces and go with a holley 750 or 780 double pumper or source a early mpi mag injection make sure you have your timing Control for the dist.if you go carb
Long time no here, welcome back.