Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Quad rotor whipple questions >

Quad rotor whipple questions

Notices

Quad rotor whipple questions

Old 02-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm pretty sure the quad rotor that you are looking are used to be mine. To answer a few of your questions.
1. you need the whipple intake and intercooler, it will not bolt to a roots set-up. It is completely different.
2. you cannot remove the EFI and add carbs, the carb whipple is completely different.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

You`re all over the place, make a plan and stick to it instead of coming up with all these different ideas every few days .
Old 02-29-2020, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think the real question here, is how much power are you looking to make? A good 8-71 will support 900-1000HP. If youre looking to make more than that, a bigger roots, or whipple would be the way to go. Theres no denying screws are better than roots, but at the end of the day, do you wanna go boating, or want to spend a fortune on a custom setup...plus you have to think of what the hull will handle. No point in putting a 1200hp quad rotor setup in a hull that is gonna get sketchy at 90mph, or in front of a drive that isnt a #6, M8, etc, Sometimes its best to keep things simple, and enjoy a few beers on the water!
Low deck roots combos on pump gas w 8-8.5CR seem to be limited to about 1000hp
Old 02-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1,492 Likes on 807 Posts

Extra beer money always good.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
You`re all over the place, make a plan and stick to it instead of coming up with all these different ideas every few days .
Winter does this to some, myself included..

If I were you BBYSTWY, I’d look for a motor already setup for efi or however you want it. Seen a couple big HP motors come around for sale that are close to rebuild time but could be had for a decent price.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 250 Likes on 126 Posts

Main reason for considering it was to keep things under my hatch as opposed to having to put a hatch scoop on it....Was just an idea and wanted to see what was/is possible. Thanks for the info
Old 03-07-2020, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

When I bought the eickert engines, they had 10-71's and blower shop intercoolers. In order to install them in the Scarab I bought them for, I would have had to do major hatch modifications. I opted to buy the quad rotors, a- super low profile, and b- a MUCH better blower than the roots. Just an FYI, there are a pair of 3.3 liters listed in Facebook for like $5k a kit. It's everything minus in computer. That would give you a whipple blower, intake, and intercooler for not much more than a roots set up.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Yea I saw that so worst case I could buy that...thing is I have a blower shop intercooler now and would like to retain that although I may not even need an intercooler with the whipples...no way in hell I'm paying whipples prices for their intercooler...not happening lol

Might just have to fab my own adapter...I think the base of the 8-71 might actually be wider than the mounting plate of the whipples but not sure on that.

If you are concerned with finished height in your engine compartment you will want to run the Whipple intake and intercooler, the roots intakes and blower shop coolers add approx 4 inches in height. As far as running carbs on that set up --- i wouldn't even dream of it -- going backwards!

my thoughts