Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI? >

Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI?

Notices

Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI?

Old 03-30-2020, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 361 Likes on 202 Posts

I am in the process of converting 525SC clones to Sniper, engines were freshened and dynoed at around 620 with the sniper and Daytona ignition. I don't have the boat back together yet for real world testing. The options and tuning of the Sniper system seem excellent. however the cost was significant, after buying the unit the fuel pumps, filters, lines and relays added up. I made my own wedges for the manifolds for the O2 sensors.
I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the water
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
I am in the process of converting 525SC clones to Sniper, engines were freshened and dynoed at around 620 with the sniper and Daytona ignition. I don't have the boat back together yet for real world testing. The options and tuning of the Sniper system seem excellent. however the cost was significant, after buying the unit the fuel pumps, filters, lines and relays added up. I made my own wedges for the manifolds for the O2 sensors.
I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the water
Cool, be sure to post up on how it runs. The tuning capabilities are very good, you'll love it once you're running the boat. Plus the monitoring and peace of mind factor will be much greater.

Looks like it would be around $6,000 for the full conversion at minimum for my setup. Honestly that's not horrible, considering other figures I've dropped on this here boat LOL.

At this point one of my worries is how reliable the O2 sensor will be in the headers as well as picking the right fuel pumps.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a blower motor but did add it to my rebuilt 502, have 18 hrs and seems to be running fine,
Old 03-30-2020, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the o2 bungs welded into my Lightning Headers at the factory. I would get about 30 mins out of a sensor before it would go bad from moisture. Of course depends on your cam choice, style of exhaust etc. When the o2 goes bad the Holley HP that I was running would default to full rich if you were running in learn mode. So what I did was run the o2 sensors in learn. Once all the learning was complete. Shut them off and pull them out permanently.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 612 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat View Post
I had the o2 bungs welded into my Lightning Headers at the factory. I would get about 30 mins out of a sensor before it would go bad from moisture. Of course depends on your cam choice, style of exhaust etc. When the o2 goes bad the Holley HP that I was running would default to full rich if you were running in learn mode. So what I did was run the o2 sensors in learn. Once all the learning was complete. Shut them off and pull them out permanently.
I would assume if you run full dry exhaust that issue would go away correct?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If I'm unable to run an O2 for at least a month or two that might severely change my mind. Being able to monitor AFRs and have the safeguard of the learn or even just being able to datalog is one of the biggest reasons to go with such a setup.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 2,670 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat View Post
Kinda defeats the whole purpose of EFI and fuel compensation to pull the 02`s.
I converted mine to run 80% dry and there`s a thread how to keep 02`s alive in teh tech section.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
I would assume if you run full dry exhaust that issue would go away correct?
yes it would
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I too and looking into the sniper system for my twin turbo blow thru 454's Join the Holley Sniper EFI owners and tech facebook group. This is a group that Holley monitors and the techs provide very quick feedback. from reading most of the peoples problems stem from bad wiring practices and emi. Keep wires away from spark plug wires. And make sure your fuel system is solid.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM
B85
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you running a thermostat ? Would like to add EFI to my old race boat motor. But it doesn't have a thermostat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.