Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI? >

Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI?

Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI?

Old 03-28-2020, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thoughts on switching to Holley Super Sniper EFI?

Hey guys,

I've got a pair of Roots blown BBC's being redone right now, they'll be around the 1050-1100HP all said and done. Currently they're dual Holley carb setups. Like most of you, my other hobby is cars (anything with an engine honestly) and I've installed and ran Holley Sniper EFI on a few small and big blocks and absolutely love the system. I'm pretty familiar with Holley EFI as well as monitoring and tuning them myself. The options with a Holley ECU are nearly unlimited and the fine tuning capability is awesome. I'm sure some wizards can get a Carb setup to run incredible as well; however, with the Holley Sniper it's like snapping your fingers. Things such as Rev Limit, Temps, MAP, TPS, AFR, Timing, Enrichment, Idle Control, etc. all at your fingertips.

Anyways, besides all of the known benefits, anyone running Holley EFI on their offshore boats or know of someone who is? I'm just trying to think of any problems or differences that would come up in marine application. All opinions welcomed! (Including just to leave it alone and save the ~$8k LOL).

Last edited by Thor39; 03-28-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

You need to find ICDEDPPL thread, he converted from carbs to Holley efi on roots blowers motors..........Im sure he'll see this post.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Registered

Thanks F-2, I will do some digging to see if I can find it in his profile. If anybody has anything else, add away!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I personally don't own anything running HEFI, but I have worked with a couple dozen people who have switched their boats, and more lately, a bunch of air boats. A small learning curve, but no one seems interested in going back. Compared to all the other aftermarket ECU options out there, bang for the buck, a great choice.

One fact you won't hear from Holley, and that initially got me involved with some members here, is the dash options aren't very marine friendly. Hard to read in direct sunlight. But if you all ready have gauges your happy with, not an issue. If you do plan to upgrade the gauges to digital or a MFD, I have that side covered.

-K

Old 03-28-2020, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 52 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor39 View Post
Thanks F-2, I will do some digging to see if I can find it in his profile. If anybody has anything else, add away!
Cigarette adventure #6
Old 03-28-2020, 06:50 PM
Registered

Awesome thank you both. Continuing to research this...
Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
You need to find ICDEDPPL thread, he converted from carbs to Holley efi on roots blowers motors..........Im sure he'll see this post.
I haven`t seen the post yet .
Old 03-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Terminator TB`s , with those 8 injectors my duty cycle is up there . for over 1000hp you`ll have to go with bigger TB`s IMOP
The sniper I believe is good for 1200hp (the new kit)
It seems to be geared more towards blown applications.

My set up wasn`t so I had to do a bunch of rewiring and moving of sensors that were useless above the blower like IAT, map.. wiring the IAC`s in paralel and such.
With efi and IAC`s you can run the engines much leaner (13.5vs low 12s ) it`s much healthier for the engine.

Gas savings are significant . fuel curve is excellent as you know.
gauges that run off one data wire and piggy back off each is great. No more miles of sender wires/hoses
tons of info at your fingerprints
Turbo is right , the screens are hard to read in sunlight.
Setting up safety parameters may save the engine and make it all worth it in just that one respect.

Alex Haxby set me up with everything and was great with tech support. (I took the 101 holley class in KY, that helped some and the cheater book you get is great)
Tuning the surge out took a couple days on the water. Learned the "self tuning" is dumb and screws everything up on a blower motor .

Another guy that can tune you remotely is : https://www.fastmanefi.com/tuning-help
Seems to really know his stuff.
Keep in mind I`ve only ran it for 3 days at the end of the year.
Ran great and started even in 40* temps , idled very well even without a warm up .
Mounting the coils was a pain.
Took the schematics to a printer and blew them up, that helps a LOT!! lol
Old 03-29-2020, 02:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this link

EFI for everyone
Old 03-29-2020, 12:13 PM
Registered

Alright so this is the setup I'd be going towards: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-531

I have distributors and MSDs that will allow the Sniper to control timing. I would need to do a high pressure fuel setup (high pressure pump, filter, regulator, filter, and return line) but that's fairly simple.

I'd have to have my headers or exhaust pipe (wet) sent out to have O2 ports put in. Probably plan on buying a fresh pair of O2 sensors every summer.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser