High performance pleasure day boat Atlantic coast

Notices

High performance pleasure day boat Atlantic coast

Old 03-29-2020, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High performance pleasure day boat Atlantic coast

Hi everybody.

I am looking for a used high performance day boat to use in European Atlantic coastal waters, and occasionally enjoy the speed. I was initially considering a Cigarette 38, or a small Magnum, then I thought of Fountains but the 3 engine setup implies more burden, and now I find MTI inboard Catamarans extremely attractive, although much more expensive. I am worried that the MTI may flip over if it hits high swell or a big wave at the wrong angle or speed. Can anybody give me an idea of how safe they really are in high seas?

Many thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 06:14 PM
Registered

Btw, apparent downsides:

Cigarette: too narrow
Magnum: if cheap, very old, otherwise very expensive
Fountain: 3 engines
MTI: Is it safe?
Skater: ?

Old 03-29-2020, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

lots of different questions ! v hull and cat are not the same of course... triple engines are more often in 45 + plus boats, very few smaller besides couple sonic and 42 fountain...or apache and older stuff like that...
do you need a cabin? if so don't bother with cat... flipping a cat? you have to run very very fast IMO to flip a boat like that... of course it may happen more with a cat than a V hull

you need to narrow down your needs i think so we can help more!

what price range you are comfortable with? what budget you plan to have on maintenance? reliable 500 + hours on engine before rebuild or you are ok with 50-100 k rebuild a year? So on and so forth...

welcome on OSO !
Old 03-29-2020, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

If you want a Fountain, there's plenty around with twins, keep looking. Triples are ok but yes, a bit more maintenance. Fuel useage is only slightly more. Fountain Vs Cigarette is a never ending discussion, both are great boats, Fountain a touch faster (with similar power) but a smallish boat for their size, they include the platform in their overall measurement whereas Cigarette do not. Some manufacturers do, some don't so be aware.

Cat Vs V hull, the cats are super efficient at higher speeds when they pack enough air into the tunnel to give them lift. If you're in very rough water, that's gonna be a crazy ride. In the rough, a big V hull will slice through the waves better at lower speeds (more comfortable) when a cat prefers to get up on top of the waves. How rough is the water where you boat and how often are you going to be out in the rough stuff?

The reports of cats flipping (blowing over) are at very high speeds. If you're going to be driving at 100 mph plus in anything, a good driver education course would be a good idea.

RR
Old 03-30-2020, 12:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The only Fountains with triples are 47's and some of the older 42's.

How much experience do you have with any boats??
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 AM
Registered

Thank you for the welcome and the clues.

- Being a day boat, only a toilet is needed if anything, so no cabin needed.
- Price, as low as possible, but 50 to 100, 150, maybe up to 250 for something really worth it (actually worth more than that). Not more. At the same time I don't want too much of an "old banger"
- Maintenance, reliable long life engines.
- 38 is probably the shortest I would consider (no 27s) and around 50 the max.

The thing is, I like good big V8s and a stable boat to take out and stop for a swim. Boats that lean heavily to one side if people move to that side bother me. I don't want to sleep in it, nor cook or any of that. Just get out there and go.

I don't plan to go out on the rough, but if the sea conditions worsen while I'm out there, or if weather planning was inefficient on a longer trip, it's good to know your boat can handle it, and how much of it can it actually handle.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
The only Fountains with triples are 47's and some of the older 42's.

How much experience do you have with any boats??
None with these high powered offshore inspired boats. Enough with other power boats.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
If you want a Fountain, there's plenty around with twins, keep looking. Triples are ok but yes, a bit more maintenance. Fuel useage is only slightly more. Fountain Vs Cigarette is a never ending discussion, both are great boats, Fountain a touch faster (with similar power) but a smallish boat for their size, they include the platform in their overall measurement whereas Cigarette do not. Some manufacturers do, some don't so be aware.

Cat Vs V hull, the cats are super efficient at higher speeds when they pack enough air into the tunnel to give them lift. If you're in very rough water, that's gonna be a crazy ride. In the rough, a big V hull will slice through the waves better at lower speeds (more comfortable) when a cat prefers to get up on top of the waves. How rough is the water where you boat and how often are you going to be out in the rough stuff?

The reports of cats flipping (blowing over) are at very high speeds. If you're going to be driving at 100 mph plus in anything, a good driver education course would be a good idea.

RR
Not really planing to go out on the rough, nor going 100 plus, but bad weather planning could result in finding myself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder about the limits these boats have. "My personal limits" are something I should be able to gauge case by case once I'm in it.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

You mentioned Cigarette and Fountain, why look any further? Two of the best known offshore performance boats around. Both have ample cabin for what you want and with modest power, should run well and get you home safely when the weather blows up.

There's lots of other great boats people will mention but sometimes adding possibilities to an excellent short list makes things overly complicated.

Cig 38 or bigger. Fountain 42. The Fountain 47 would be a beast but it's substantially bigger beam and probably way more cabin than you need. Be careful about engines, modest power is a bit easier on maintenance and your pocket. Get an experienced operator to check any boat out carefully and water test. Survey, transom for moisture, engines etc.

Members on here are very knowledgeable and always happy to help. Listen to what the experienced guys say and if someone knows a boat or it's owner, that's often a good recommendation.

Happy shopping.

RR

P.S. Trawl the classifieds on here, many of the boats listed are known to other members. Ask questions, OSO is a great encyclopedia.

Last edited by rak rua; 03-30-2020 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Registered

What about MTI inboard cats or skater cats? They surely look very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.