How to test float switch Lovett 1200 >

How to test float switch Lovett 1200

Notices

How to test float switch Lovett 1200

Old 03-31-2020, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default How to test float switch Lovett 1200

The bilge pump is HARD to get to in my Formula 311. Is there a way to test the float switch in situ (without removing the bilge pump)?
Thanks,
Tom
Ps-The manual switch on the dash panel works as advertised BUT I would like to make sure the pump operates in an unattended emergency.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Can't u get to it with a coat hanger and just lift the float?
Old 03-31-2020, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 352 Posts

put water in the bilge and see if it turns on.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Can't u get to it with a coat hanger and just lift the float?
Great idea but it looks like the float is "protected" by a mesh housing?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
put water in the bilge and see if it turns on.
Thanks...so simple but I did not think of that.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Testing in "real world" conditions is always the best way. Some of them that have a hinge that you can turn by hand...
...well, your hand has enough torque to lift it, but it may be gummed up with enough crap that water won't float it. I've seen this first hand.

Also, the float switches that I had in my AT had a design flaw. If the boat filled with water slowly (which I found out via testing with a garden hose), the housing actually trapped air inside, and that didn't allow it to fill with water from the bottom, and the float portion of the switch stayed down since water wasn't causing it to rise. As soon as I bored a couple of small holes in it, they worked properly.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 04-01-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Testing in "real world" conditions is always the best way. Some of them that have a hinge that you can turn by hand...
...well, your hand has enough torque to lift it, but it may be gummed up with enough crap that water won't float it. I've seen this first hand.

Also, the float switches that I had in my AT had a design flaw. If the boat filled with water slowly (which I found out via testing with a garden hose), the housing actually trapped air inside, and that didn't allow it too fill with water from the bottom, and the float portion of the switch stayed down since water wasn't causing it to rise. As soon as I bored a couple of small holes in it, they worked properly.
Glad I asked this forum! Thanks Boat Brothers
Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 AM
Registered

Darn, dumped about 8" of fresh garden hose water into the bilge...no auto pump action. Manually, that thing really moves water BUT now I have to get down there and remove/replace...:-(
Is Lovett still highly thought of?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

could be a few things - bad float switch or wired in wrong/ popped fuse on float switch wiring (not manual pump wiring but the auto float switch power wire)
Air cushion effect as per Sydwayz or crap in and around the float preventing it from pivoting
Old 04-01-2020, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

I get it. I've had and have same type plus two smaller external float type. I found out in a bad way on a 60 mi trip in rough water. They worked manually but not in auto. Boat was new to me at time. Water was up to the stringers. Did you do any recent wiring or has everything remained the same. What's strange is the flimsy external float time seem to be indestructible. I never did pull mine apart and only confirmed wiring was correct. I would imagine if you pulled it apart after getting banged around upside down you might find the internal float arm stuck. I'd probably just replace after you confirm it's wired correctly.

Not sure if you did but see if you can trace wires to the switch and where your getting the 12 volts from is good. I've seen some shady wiring and installs.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-01-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.