Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley HP EFI conversion >

Holley HP EFI conversion

Notices

Holley HP EFI conversion

Old 12-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 1,205 Likes on 578 Posts

Just arrived today! Sub-harnesses should be coming soon. Camshafts are in and back together. I will get engine on the run stand this weekend, build the main harness, install sensors, and maybe fire it sometime next week.

The following 6 users liked this post by Rookie:
abones (12-11-2020), articfriends (12-12-2020), dykstra (12-29-2020), Gimme Fuel (12-14-2020), ICDEDPPL (12-11-2020), sutphen 30 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Just arrived today! Sub-harnesses should be coming soon. Camshafts are in and back together. I will get engine on the run stand this weekend, build the main harness, install sensors, and maybe fire it sometime next week.

Looking forward to dynoing it for you! Who had best deal on the coils< i need some myself
The following users liked this post:
Rookie (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

next time we talk, well have a dwell time discussion. IDK if we talked after I dynoed the roots blown LS BUT we had coil problems with the "standard" dwell settings, when we changed, we quit cooking coils, it was convoluted but kicked our ass, Smitty
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
Gimme Fuel (12-14-2020), Rookie (12-12-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Looking forward to dynoing it for you! Who had best deal on the coils< i need some myself
Originally Posted by articfriends
next time we talk, well have a dwell time discussion. IDK if we talked after I dynoed the roots blown LS BUT we had coil problems with the "standard" dwell settings, when we changed, we quit cooking coils, it was convoluted but kicked our ass, Smitty
I bought them off Amazon $265 with good reviews. I did a bunch of reading on the D585 coils and they are more than adequate for anything I'm going to throw at them. People have had problems with them on Holley EFI system but I see most of that was improper grounding. I believe 3.5-3.7ms is the consensus with dwell, but curious to what you were seeing. I really don't want to be burning up coils. Should be a good learning experience on the dyno. I'm totally fresh at this. How familiar are you with the Holley system? Do I need to fly ICDEDPPL in? Lol
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Rookie; 12-12-2020 at 10:22 PM.
articfriends (12-13-2020)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:09 PM
Registered

Was busy at the shop today. Other cam is in 2nd engine, 1st engine is on the run stand, I finally mounted the fuel rails (just bolted them to the boss), installed sensors and wired up the majority of the harness. No I'm just waiting on some coil harnesses and brackets.

The following 5 users liked this post by Rookie:
abones (12-12-2020), AllDodge (12-13-2020), articfriends (12-13-2020), Eddienel (12-13-2020), Gimme Fuel (12-14-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I bought them off Amazon $265 with good reviews. I did a bunch of reading on the D585 coils and they are more than adequate for anything I'm going to throw at them. People have had problems with them on Holley EFI system but I see most of that was improper grounding. I believe 3.5-3.7ms is the consensus with dwell, but curious to what you were seeing. I really don't want to be burning up coils. Should be a good learning experience on the dyno. I'm totally fresh at this. How familiar are you with the Holley system? Do I need to fly ICDEDPPL in? Lol
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Ignit.../dp/B00KCWUQ00
Ive tuned a couple holley sniper systems now, a Terminator X on the roots blown LS I was telling you about and am going to tune a Holley dominator soon on my dyno on a blown 6.0 LS. The tuning software and parameters looks about identical in each tuning software.
On Jareds LS w roots blower, we broke motor in on dyno on 1/2 race gas, 1/2 93 with low boost, pulled good to 6800 where we were ending the pulls. We were using used 585 "heat sink" coils, the "standard" 58 X ignition settings (you cant see the dwell time that I can find in the standard settings). We were making like 650 hp or so. we switched to E-85, pulled it once, it pulled a little weak to 6800, made 30 less hp. Pulled it again in case it was a fluke, it layed down at WOT and I could let off the brake completely (at wot) and motor would lay down to idle bogging. I pulled it at 1/2 throttle with less brake, about 580 hp, it ripped right to 6800. Afrs looked good. regrounded everything just for good measure, Tried pulling it at wot again, layed down to nothing. Pulled plugs and tightened gaps up to .020, pulled again, same exact thing, at wot would lay down like it ran out of fuel, part throttle it would rip.
Pumped all the E-85 out, loaded the EXACT tune we had previously run on the gasoline with NO changes, put our witches brew of 1/2 and 1/2 in, layed down at wot but would pull up to about 3/4 throttle/ 600 hp. Threw a SECOND set of 585 truck coils on (both sets were used but had worked perfect in past), pulled on gasoline, ripped right to 650 ish and took wot. threw first set of coils back on, pulled it and it layed down. put second set of coils back on, flipped pulleys over and pulled it on 110, ripped right to 750 ish hp at 6800. siwtced back to E-85, pulled it, pulled weaker one time then would lay down same exact way every time.
The engines owner bought a full set of new 585s, I went to local yard and bought 2 more full sets of used 585s for 120$.
I was reluctant to put new coils on it IF something in tuning was just going to smoke them under boost on E-85 so I put a 3rd set of used ones on. Pulled it on the gas mix to 750hp no problem. I stopped at that point and searched the net for numbers to populate the "custom" ignition settings and posted on a FB holley forum asking what the "standard" 58 x settings were. I got 10 different answers from 2.5 MS of dwell to 6.0, I don't think anyone actually knows what the standard settings are unless they work at holley. I was looking for what numbers to put in the custom settings more than anything but all i got was a bunch of arguments about how it shouldn't be doing what it was doing or stupid responses. I DID finally find some base numbers to populate the configuration questions for custom settings and I set the max dwell to 3.0 MS and it pulled ok on E-85 around 750 hp. I turned the dwell UP towards top to 3.5 and it leaned it out, added fuel, turned dwell to 4.0, it kept increasing power. Turned it up to 4.5, made 775 or 785 hp hp on E-85 (don't remember exactly). switched back to standard 58x settings, pulled weak once then layed down everytime after that. put FOURTH set of used heat sink coils , put settings back to what worked, pulled just fine. The fourth set of used heat sink /585 coils is STILL on that motor and its been ran at several events, he's keeping the new ones as backups.
Now, this WAS tuned to 11.0 on gas scale then 10.8 on E-85, the BSFCS were horrible on E-85 (1.05) on top so onlky thing I can say is when it trys to fire the Alcohol under boost, it somehow puts resistance /load into the coils and destroys the logic modules, not sure what else could do it. Had holley "experts" argue with me but I can only go on what I experienced. On your builds, na on gasoline, Im sure you could have dwell set just about anywhere. Supposedly the 585s will "autofire" if you turn dwell much over 4.5 BUT I have tuning friends who say they've ran 6.0, Smitty
Also, we tried projected/non projected tip plugs of two different heat ranges

Last edited by articfriends; 12-13-2020 at 01:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by articfriends:
Gimme Fuel (12-14-2020), Rookie (12-13-2020), SB (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,272 Likes on 1,232 Posts

^^^ that`s why I bought all Holley stuff.

Set a simple dwell map and call it a day .

Rookie (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I’ve had a lot of issues with the Issues heat sink truck coils In the past. I’ve since switched to the ign1a coils and have never had an issue since.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

That makes sense. I see that you are running the 558-312 harness in the updated configuration similar to the "558-318 big wire harness" on separated 70 amp leads to each bank. I read if not done this way it was a problem with the D585 coils, especially under boost and above 4.0 dwell. I know the Holley instructions have been updated to this now.

Thanks for all the information guys. I just started developing my parameters in my ECU's. I'll probably have more upcoming question on setting.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had/have a hard time believing the standard settings in holleys system would kill GM coils, but I seen it happen. Would have been cool if guy had the good holley coils like you to try. Ive heard from people who been to holley training that their traininng rep told them a certain GM /mercuiser coils were the very best ones. Ive heard the holley coils can easily take 6.5 MS of dwell, would be interesting IF you dyno your motors if upping the dwell to 5.5, 6.5 will do anything for fuel burn/hp past the 4.5 your at , Smitty

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.