Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking? >

Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking?

Notices

Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking?

Old 04-29-2020, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Just a little food for thought coming from a guy with a little boat with a big motor... when choosing a new tank , stuff the biggest one in there you can. Once you start building a motor, it can suck down 35 gallons in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
SB (04-29-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Just a little food for thought coming from a guy with a little boat with a big motor... when choosing a new tank , stuff the biggest one in there you can. Once you start building a motor, it can suck down 35 gallons in a heartbeat.
Thanks and makes sense. I plan on putting the largest tank possible without having to cut the floor at all. That's the plan at least! Little nervous about the whole ordeal and attacking on my own but I always end up figuring it out!
Old 04-29-2020, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986Scarab1
Thanks and makes sense. I plan on putting the largest tank possible without having to cut the floor at all. That's the plan at least! Little nervous about the whole ordeal and attacking on my own but I always end up figuring it out!
Dont sweat it... fiberglass is just paper mache' for grownups. Its a wellcraft, check all the stringers and transom cloesly, you dont want to do a bunch of work doing the tank only to get it back together and find out you need to do a stringer, bulkhead or transom.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

mine was leaking, ac sucked the fumes into the cabin middle of the night while we were all sleeping .
It was bad, all the linens smelled so bad we threw it all away , it could have been much worse reading some of the stories .
Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
mine was leaking, ac sucked the fumes into the cabin middle of the night while we were all sleeping .
It was bad, all the linens smelled so bad we threw it all away , it could have been much worse reading some of the stories .
we have a 94 gun...think we had chatted before about replacing tanks. You cut the tops off and fit smaller tanks inside...can you comment on how big of a job it was. I’m thinking drain the fuel, take the floor out, cut the tops, and drop new ones in. Am I over simplifying the job?
Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
we have a 94 gun...think we had chatted before about replacing tanks. You cut the tops off and fit smaller tanks inside...can you comment on how big of a job it was. I’m thinking drain the fuel, take the floor out, cut the tops, and drop new ones in. Am I over simplifying the job?
Wow, never thought about that possibility.. I guess if the current gas tank doesn't have baffles it could work..... I'm most concerned with how stuck to the floor the old tank will be between the awful foam that's there and the corrosion over what I'm assuming is 33 years (tank looks original). Cutting the top, cleaning well and dropping a new tank in the existing tank sounds easy compared to what I had in mind.

I've seen several of the Moeler composite ready to go tanks and they seem like they might be the best bet for me. Just having a hard time finding one with fittings where they need to be.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
It may not be the best way but it worked for me and was a lot easier then taking the fuel tanks out (the entire cockpit has to come out) the old tanks were 150 gallons each, I`m not running drugs so i don`t need that much capacity.
I cut the old tanks open, cut out the baffles and installed smaller tanks. (75 gallons each)
At the same time I moved both fuel fills to Port side .
Old 04-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
It may not be the best way but it worked for me and was a lot easier then taking the fuel tanks out (the entire cockpit has to come out) the old tanks were 150 gallons each, I`m not running drugs so i don`t need that much capacity.
I cut the old tanks open, cut out the baffles and installed smaller tanks. (75 gallons each)
At the same time I moved both fuel fills to Port side .
I love the idea. What material did you go with? Also, curious how you ended up supporting it in the old tank.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2020, 07:55 PM
Registered

Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 PM
Registered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.