Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking? >

Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking?

Notices

Aluminum Fuel Tank Leaking?

Old 04-29-2020, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Thanks for taking the time to share, I think this is a great option for me and would save a ton of headache. Also, that interior is sick!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
yes, it is a lot of force. I just made some tanks, and pressure tested them @ 3PSI. my tanks are 25" x 81" topside = 6,075 bs of force on that top plate. It bowed out about 2"+

Take that to 5PSI = 10,125 lbs of force, too muchy!

Also, get yourself a regulator to knock down incoming air into the tank. So you initially let ZERO air into the tank and then turn it up until you're just under 3 PSI.

That's a calibrated pressure gauge I have on there to really see what I'm doing. We have tested tanks to just under 6,000PSI here at up to 4" wall thickness. That's a lot of force, and it's no joke even just a few PSI. We do not air test here as that's too much stored force (potential) if something were to burst. The safer way is to hydro test as water is incompressible and has much less stored/potential force. BUT people don't readily own hydro test pumps and setups.

Additionally, I bet 80% of people out there are operating / own those portable air tanks that are out of date. The tanks corrode away and compromise integrity (AKA - explode!). There are safety factors built into the code, but alot of manufacturers reduce wall thickness to nothing, to reduce cost... And one more thing - be weary of air compressors that have been out of operation for periods of time, they can corrode and go boom! when pressurized. Serious stuff not a lot of people think about. (Also remember to bleed / drain your air compressors of water. Some fancy compressors have desiccant systems - better known as air dryers.)
Nice work on the tanks. Highly overlooked how dangers air testing is!! I once tested a day tank for a generator that I installed in a nyc school, the inspector read a spec that stated you need a 50 psi test on the tank that was approved and stated 5 psi max for testing in big red letters, he did not care so I filled with water and tested to 50... had to keep bumping it for about hour till the tank swelled till it hit the containment wall.. it passed.. look a lot rounder though. You can hydro right up to your street/well pump pressure by hooking up a garden hose to your hose bib.

Tim
Old 04-30-2020, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Yes, you can certainly do that using city water pressure. Testing anything under pressure is a dangerous game. Be careful out there!!!

You're lucky that tank didn't let go. Something doesn't sound right about your story (on the "inspector's" side that is)... Whoa!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Yes, you can certainly do that using city water pressure. Testing anything under pressure is a dangerous game. Be careful out there!!!

You're lucky that tank didn't let go. Something doesn't sound right about your story (on the "inspector's" side that is)... Whoa!

Anyone who has done work with the city of ny can tell you much better stories. The spec books are from the early 1900's
Old 04-30-2020, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

HOLY S**T do I feel lucky...... Took the boat to the shop today, sealed off hoses, ran smoke test, and found the culprit.

The fuel delivery line had a decent size hole in it. It was hidden between the rear seat wall and engine compartment. There was no smoke coming from the sides of the tank or any of the other fittings but I went ahead and changed the fill hose, vent hose, and of course, the fuel delivery line that had a hole in it. I wanted to also change the anti-siphon valve and pickup tube but the I peered through the sending unit hole and it looked like it was in great shape. Further, the bottom of the tank looked brand new, I was shocked. The tank was also about half way full, where I left it at the end of last season. That's not to say that the underside of the tank hasn't gotten wet or isn't corroded, but I'm hopeful all is well. While in the cuddy I went ahead and scrubbed down and washed out the two front bunks that smelled of gas and had some storm water at the bottom.

I plan on cranking her up on the hose soon while keeping an eye on the fuel system. Hoping I dodged a bullet for now!

The following 6 users liked this post by 1986Scarab1:
93 shooter (05-01-2020), 941 (05-01-2020), AllDodge (05-01-2020), Gimme Fuel (05-01-2020), ICDEDPPL (05-01-2020), underpsi68 (04-30-2020)