Exhaust header Hardin or Stainless marine >

Exhaust header Hardin or Stainless marine

Notices

Exhaust header Hardin or Stainless marine

Old 05-07-2020, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust header Hardin or Stainless marine

Has anybody used the Hardin Seaward exhaust?
I want to replace the exhaust on 1997 502EFI and I started off by looking at the Stainless Marine product. Called CP performance for a quote which they gave me but they also suggested I look at the Hardin Seaward.
Motors are all stock and I am not looking to make any other changes so just after something to replace the stock cast iron manifolds.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I have no experience with the Hardin but really like what I've read. Stainless marine is always a solid choice
Old 05-07-2020, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

I’ve got the Hardin Seward series. Granted I have low low hours on mine I’d say it was worth the money. Definitely a good choice. Couldn’t tell the difference between the two!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

I've got the Seaward , nice manifolds and risers. Didn't gain anything from it all by itself. Might have actually lost 30 RPM from factory manifolds. However, I never rejetted the carb either, so that might have something to do with it.

They are listed as being good up to 415 HP. Not sure why?? No other manufacturer places a cap on the exhaust that I know of.

Not a huge weight savings over stock exhaust. If I had to guess maybe 15-20 lbs a side difference?

My install didn't go very well at first. Bolts were missing. (used some OEM) Studs for mounting the oil filter relocation kit and turbulators were too short. Had to buy a big allen wrench for installing the plugs.(smart thing to do was make them square drive 3/8 or 1/2") The throttle linkage mounting plate was pretty flimsy for what they charge. Ended up making my own. One of the rubber 90* elbows was a tad too short with the turbulator installed.

In Hardin's defense, when I sent them an E mail about that ^^^^ stuff, the guy called me and offered to buy it back from me before any conversation took place. I ended up keeping it since I had already purchased the stuff to do it, and did install it already. Wasn't going to remove it at this point.

Now, knowing what it cost, didn't reduce much weight in the back end, didn't gain me any RPM, and being capped at 415 HP, would i do it all over again? Doubt it. (Even though I am presently fitting them to my new to me 502 because I'm keeping it stock for now)

Not sure exactly what it is you're looking for?

If you just want to reduce weight, you can prob go with an aluminum stock type manifold from GLM.

If you want performance and weight savings with less $$, maybe look for a set of used GIL's?

Or if you want shiny and new, maybe the DANA exhaust or Eddie Marine are in the same price range as the Seaward.

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2020, 05:41 AM
Registered

It does help. Thank you.
Looking for exhaust system that will go on without having to re-engineer the system. The boat has stock 502EFI motors that I don't plan on doing any other modifications to. Just looking to replace the cast iron manifolds with something a little better.
The price is not the deciding factor the fit is. Need to be able to install the remote the oil filter, electrical box and silent choice back on the manifold without a ton of modifications.
Has anybody used the Stainless Marine exhaust?
Old 05-08-2020, 08:31 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

For anyone that needs to install pipe plugs with ‘allen head’ recesses, hex bolt heads fit right in the recess. So, get proper size bolt head and two nuts that fit threaded part of bolt.

Insert head of bolt into allen head recess and use the two nuts (jammed into each other if coarse) and wallah. Much cheaper and easier to find than
1/2 and 9/16 allen wrenches.
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
Griff (05-09-2020), Padraig (05-09-2020), wlrottge (11-06-2021)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:34 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

As far as hp ratings of exhaust, I’m sure they sre going by Merc engine hp ratings. By them saying ‘max 415hp’ , they don’t want it to be used on larger cammed 420,440, 465, 500, and etc engines.
The following users liked this post:
wlrottge (11-06-2021)
Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 320 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by nygman11
It does help. Thank you.
Looking for exhaust system that will go on without having to re-engineer the system. The boat has stock 502EFI motors that I don't plan on doing any other modifications to. Just looking to replace the cast iron manifolds with something a little better.
The price is not the deciding factor the fit is. Need to be able to install the remote the oil filter, electrical box and silent choice back on the manifold without a ton of modifications.
Has anybody used the Stainless Marine exhaust?
Well, it depends on what 502 you have?

Here's my thread I just started about the Seaward not fitting onto my gen VI 502 and trying to figure out how to modify it to work out.

black 502 exhaust fitment issue
Old 05-09-2020, 06:19 AM
Registered

I saw your thread when I was starting mine but I could not tell what brand exhaust you had.
I have 1997 model year 502's so by reading your post you think they will fit better.
I am just looking to replace the cast iron manifolds with something newer and better but I don't want to open up a can a worms. The boat is all stock and very dependable and I don't want to sacrifice that.
Hope you get your install figured out.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is how I mounted my oil filter, remotely. The head is stock Mercruiser and the mounting bracket is from Stainless Marine. That is a Marshal pressure gauge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.