Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercruiser 420 Stumbles >

Mercruiser 420 Stumbles

Notices

Mercruiser 420 Stumbles

Old 08-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Ran 9 hours yesterday, first four hours the boat ran perfect. No issues, ran right up to WOT no problem. No issues after restarts. After docking at a tiki bar for an hour and a half, idled out of the cove, starboard engine stumbled and died out. Check carb bowl, full of fuel. Fired the engine back up and ran for another hour without issue. Upon restart, I revved the engine out but it stumbled during the entire RPM range then cleared itself out. Beached at a local sandbar for about an hour, fired up and got on plane ran four a few minutes then the port engine stumbled and died out. Restarted and ran back to the ramp without issue. I am at a loss here. Going to replace fuel pumps this week but I don’t think that will solve anything considering when the boat is running, it runs great. Spinning 21P to 4900 RPM at 61 MPH, full tank and four people. This is a hard issue to troubleshoot since it is intermittent and I cannot reproduce the problem.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by distantthunder
Ran 9 hours yesterday, first four hours the boat ran perfect. No issues, ran right up to WOT no problem. No issues after restarts. After docking at a tiki bar for an hour and a half, idled out of the cove, starboard engine stumbled and died out. Check carb bowl, full of fuel. Fired the engine back up and ran for another hour without issue. Upon restart, I revved the engine out but it stumbled during the entire RPM range then cleared itself out. Beached at a local sandbar for about an hour, fired up and got on plane ran four a few minutes then the port engine stumbled and died out. Restarted and ran back to the ramp without issue. I am at a loss here. Going to replace fuel pumps this week but I don’t think that will solve anything considering when the boat is running, it runs great. Spinning 21P to 4900 RPM at 61 MPH, full tank and four people. This is a hard issue to troubleshoot since it is intermittent and I cannot reproduce the problem.
pull the motors and throw them in mine we can trade boats and I’ll throw the hot rod in on top of the deal. That way you can figure out if it was the boat or the motors 😝
Old 08-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sailtexas186548
Sounds electrical to me, I would check voltage to starter solenoid cold (when it works) then when it does it again, check and see if you are getting a good 12v. If so, probably bad solenoids or grounds (clean all ground anyways, can’t hurt)

on another Note, I am building some 420 clones and there is really nothing online to reference. Could you post a bunch of pics of the 420s from all angles since you have a nice original set? Not many left out there
sailtexas i have a 420 minus crank and heads im parting out if you need anything. Cam lifters and pushrods have 60hrs on them and are numbers for the lobes they were on. Chris 214 309 8081
Old 08-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke eater
pull the motors and throw them in mine we can trade boats and I’ll throw the hot rod in on top of the deal. That way you can figure out if it was the boat or the motors 😝
which hot rod would this be???😁😁