Top Engine Rebuilders >

Top Engine Rebuilders

Notices

Top Engine Rebuilders

Old 08-02-2020, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive been told 30-35k from Ilmor,
Whom didn't seem to really want to do it, they further referred me to a place in Mi that quoted 14k JUST for the top end.
Alexi @ boost Power says 18-20 for a full build.
Waiting on final numbers from Exotic now.

Another guy on River City Daves, did his complete a CPL years ago for 12-13k, With custom built valves and up graded everything.

My thought process is, If I have to pay to have it removed, pay to ship it somewhere. At that point I may as well do a full rebuild for 25% ish more.
The following 2 users liked this post by SR24Dave:
kjm5125 (08-17-2020), Padraig (08-02-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Lingenfelter does or did viper engines as well as boats.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:08 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My .02. Just because they can build a great motor for a car / truck doesn't mean they can build one for a boat. Just because they can build a great Chevy marine motor doesn't mean they can build a Dodge. Did Alexi say he's comfortable with Dodge motors? I have no personal experience with him but I've never heard any complaints either for what it's worth.

Last edited by bck; 08-03-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 PM
Registered

Exotic Engine Development, has done extensive work for many platforms for: American Air Racing,Calvo Motorsports, Eliminator Boats,
Moto Sports, Blue Thunder II, Teaque, and many other big boat builders motors. Just to name a few.
Many builders send parts to him. More than I can or want to do. With an in house "Rottler H80 CNC diamond cylinder hone" 100% accountability!
They have extensive knowledge of Ilmor Mv-10's 625 & 710's. And a very very solid track record.

So, I do agree a truck motor is not the same as a boat motor , But Pretty sure an airplane motor is more extensive than a V-10 Mopar.

I have not heard anything bad about Alexi, And sure that he does great work as well.
But I cannot personally find one person who's ran his motors for any amount of time.
At least in my area. I did reach out to him on a cpl occasions. Just never panned out I guess.
Ordering parts! Shipping to Reno In 2.5 months.

I will keep anyone interested up to date.
The following users liked this post:
shunter2005 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bck View Post
My .02. Just because they can build a great motor for a car / truck doesn't mean they can build one for a boat. Just because they can build a great Chevy marine motor doesn't mean they can build a Dodge. Did Alexi say he's comfortable with Dodge motors? I have no personal experience with him but I've never heard any complaints either for what it's worth.
Based on Alexi’s instagram I’d bet he’s rebuilding more Ilmor V10s than anyone.
The following 3 users liked this post by hogie roll:
Gimme Fuel (08-05-2020), Griff (08-22-2020), OLDRAT (08-04-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing that crazy with these engines to rebuild they have chevy rods 6" and i i beleave ford pistons.Valves and springs should be simple to to get.
hogie roll (08-10-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache View Post
There is nothing that crazy with these engines to rebuild they have chevy rods 6" and i i beleave ford pistons.Valves and springs should be simple to to get.
I remember looking at this recently. I don’t think the rods were identical, but it is similar enough to a small block Chevy plus 2 cylinders that most decent shops shouldn’t have a problem with it.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post
I remember looking at this recently. I don’t think the rods were identical, but it is similar enough to a small block Chevy plus 2 cylinders that most decent shops shouldn’t have a problem with it.
We bought 10 chevy rods from crower for the one i rebuilt.
hogie roll (08-18-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 09:40 AM
Registered

Sadly, today will be out last day on the water.
Nothing like a half day of running through 60 plus gallons of 93 Octane marine fuel!
Next weekend the HTM Sr-24 Cat goes back to Mi for the winter.
To have motor pulled and shipped to Reno!
Drive going back to George for the drive inspection, and Drive Guardian to be re-set and new HP rating.
Talked to Kevin, we are going up to the 700 hp range.
George confirmed (AADS) the new drive will more than hold the power.
(ESP. with the drive Guardian)

Cant wait till next spring!
Old 09-04-2020, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a good thread on RDP about rebuilding the Ilmors. I can’t remember the exact story but a guy wanted to correct some of the inherent weaknesses of the engine. For sure higher quality valves were mentioned. There is one of the cylinders that tends to run hotter and end result is a dropped valve and the resulting catastrophe. I think he may have consulted the guy in Texas you mentioned. Out west it seems like Alexi is the go to guy on Ilmors. The story said he had bought a bunch of the few proprietary parts necessary to rebuild the Ilmors. From reading the thread, definitely upgrade to better valves.