Weiand 177 on 489 - Carb Help >

Weiand 177 on 489 - Carb Help

Notices

Weiand 177 on 489 - Carb Help

Old 09-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I reached out to Nickerson and it sounds like they can get my carb setup pretty well since they have a lot of experience with combos like this, so I'm going to go that route. Again, this I'm not looking for every last hp. This is going into my Formula 242LS. I just want to be able to turn a bigger prop for cruise and maybe tickle low 70s. Boat is doing 67mph now but only turning 5100, so I know there's more in the setup as is.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by HydroStream6
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I reached out to Nickerson and it sounds like they can get my carb setup pretty well since they have a lot of experience with combos like this, so I'm going to go that route. Again, this I'm not looking for every last hp. This is going into my Formula 242LS. I just want to be able to turn a bigger prop for cruise and maybe tickle low 70s. Boat is doing 67mph now but only turning 5100, so I know there's more in the setup as is.
Where are you located? Just curious... my old 242 is floating around out there somewhere.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Where are you located? Just curious... my old 242 is floating around out there somewhere.
I'm in the Finger Lakes. I bought the boat as a basket case out of Michigan last winter.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm in the Finger Lakes. I bought the boat as a basket case out of Michigan last winter.
A 525sc (or close to it will run in the low to just mid 70's. If you give it some more carburetor, you can probably get a little more out of it. I had a 454 with a 250 and twin Nickerson 950s in my 242 and it ran in the 80's. You'll really need hydraulic steering on that boat with anything approaching 70.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:15 PM
Registered

A 525sc (or close to it will run in the low to just mid 70's. If you give it some more carburetor, you can probably get a little more out of it. I had a 454 with a 250 and twin Nickerson 950s in my 242 and it ran in the 80's. You'll really need hydraulic steering on that boat with anything approaching 70.
Thanks for the feedback! I did put external steering on it last month, so all good there. Gimbal is in good shape as well.

What prop did you run in yours? I'm thinking I should be around 650hp with 4lbs boost.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback! I did put external steering on it last month, so all good there. Gimbal is in good shape as well.

What prop did you run in yours? I'm thinking I should be around 650hp with 4lbs boost.
I dyno'd mine with a weak blower and made a touch under 600 at 3-4 lbs, 5800. 454, Dart heads, 525 EFI cam. The boat ran well but would quit around 5k. I rebuilt the blower and she would pull 56-5700 making about 7 lbs. We were spinning a 26P Bravo. I have a 28P labbed by BBlades that I never got to try, but I think the boat was running well with what it had.

Honestly, too much engine for the boat really. Mine was a sit-down and I never really felt comfortable running her at a good clip in rough water. With the power and how it came on, it was easy to get into trouble quick. Been there done that and got the t-shirt. I live right by the mouth of the Chesapeake so that's where I'd usually head out. It's pretty rough a lot of the time... fun with my 311 but not so much the 242. I will say the 242 with the new power was a lot of fun on the rivers surrounding the area though! Mine had a new transom, stringers, bulkhead and engine room floors.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Registered

Sounds like fun haha. I just got a set of bolsters for mine, but don't have them in yet. I just want to be able to go tag along with my buddy's on poker runs who have 100mph boats. If I could do a solid 75 I'd be pretty happy.

I dyno'd mine with a weak blower and made a touch under 600 at 3-4 lbs, 5800. 454, Dart heads, 525 EFI cam. The boat ran well but would quit around 5k. I rebuilt the blower and she would pull 56-5700 making about 7 lbs. We were spinning a 26P Bravo. I have a 28P labbed by BBlades that I never got to try, but I think the boat was running well with what it had.

Honestly, too much engine for the boat really. Mine was a sit-down and I never really felt comfortable running her at a good clip in rough water. With the power and how it came on, it was easy to get into trouble quick. Been there done that and got the t-shirt. I live right by the mouth of the Chesapeake so that's where I'd usually head out. It's pretty rough a lot of the time... fun with my 311 but not so much the 242. I will say the 242 with the new power was a lot of fun on the rivers surrounding the area though! Mine had a new transom, stringers, bulkhead and engine room floors.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Your carb is big enough. Nickerson will get ur carb close to optimum. Here is a similar set up (850 com) that we dynoed at made almost 600 at 5500. 2.7 lbs boost