Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine >

Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine

Notices

Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine

Old 10-23-2020, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi68
IMO it won't be as easy as you think finding a water cooled turbo to bolt on to your application, I could be wrong. There might be some trial and error. If it was me, I would put the biggest intercooler you can reasonably fit.

If I'm not mistaken,there is a member on this site with a turboed ls. I think he has it in a platoon boat. Try doing a search.
thanks I will look for it
Old 10-23-2020, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Gale banks gives all the temps, output efficiency curves for Whipple vs. 10-71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6T...ture=emb_title
So a 5L Whipple @ 3200 revs is like kissing a pretty lady, I wonder what 6500 gets ya........
Old 10-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Private VIP party in the back...
Old 10-24-2020, 02:12 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland
thanks I will look for it
with the flow thru can type intercoolers i want to run I could run two of them in series and really bring down the temp if needed.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Twin-screw superchargers (Whipple), properly sized, will raise the intake temp around 12 degrees per psi of boost.
TVS-style "improved roots" superchargers (Eaton OEM style), properly sized, around 13 degrees per psi.
Centrifugal blowers (engine-driven or "turbo"), expect around 13.5 degree per psi.
Standard (non-TVS) "Improved Roots" blowers (twisted rotors, Teflon lip seals), you're in the 14+ degrees per psi range.
Traditional old-school roots blowers, anywhere from 16 to 20 degrees per psi.

This is what you're dealing with. And the rule of thumb for keeping detonation at bay is to keep incoming charge temps under 135 degrees. If you can do that, you can consider your setup to be adequately thermally stabilized (at least in the charge-air department).

If it's a 90 degree day, and you run a turbo at 6 psi, you will raise the air temp by 81 degrees to 171 degrees. Your intercooler will need to bring it down under 135 degrees in order for you to expect being able to run effective ignition timing curves. Most OEM turbo/supercharged setups have the ECU's pull timing out starting at 135 degrees IAT. They typically pull boost as well in modern stuff.

Now, all of the above assumes the compressor is properly sized and the plumbing is nor overly restrictive. If you have too many bends, restrictions, or a too-small compressor, it will be required to operate above its thermal efficiency range. This means that the temperature rise goes exponential, making it a losing battle between adding boost vs adding heat.

M