Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine >

Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine

Notices

Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine

Old 10-22-2020, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Inlet air temps on a turbo engine vs a blower engine

Was wondering which has the coolest air temps.
say at 5lbs of boost in a
1) twin turbo set up
2) roots blower set up
3) Whipple screw blower set up

does cooler or hotter air entering the motor increase or decrease the chance for detonation?

i realize that the cooler the air, the denser the air, the more hp you will make. Just not sure if it has an effect on detonation and combustion temperature.

thanks in advance for any info, RM
Old 10-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

The hotter the air, the more chance for detonation.
The following 2 users liked this post by underpsi68:
liberator221 (10-22-2020), PigNaPoke (10-23-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
The hotter the air, the more chance for detonation.
Which of the three power adders listed heat up air the most/least thanks
Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Assuming you aren't using an intercooler, if you are than the heat increase between different systems would be negligible at 5 psi of boost. The turbo setup should have slightly lower air temps than the Whipple (screw) style blower but both will be a fair bit less than a stanrd roots style blower. At a low level of boost 5 psi you will not see a huge difference in temp between any of them but the roots will still be hotter. With all that being said if your goal is to run 5 psi any method of adding power should be fine as there is not excessive heat created at low levels of boost. Anything from 8 psi and below should be fine, assuming you can get good gas on the water.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 106 Posts

Gale banks gives all the temps, output efficiency curves for Whipple vs. 10-71

The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
KNOT-RIGHT (10-23-2020), SB (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
Which of the three power adders listed heat up air the most/least thanks
If I had to guess, the Whipple would be cooler than the roots. Turbo- it depends. There are a lot of variables to say without comparing specific wheels and housings.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
If I had to guess, the Whipple would be cooler than the roots. Turbo- it depends. There are a lot of variables to say without comparing specific wheels and housings.
im just trying to figure out which turbo manufacturer has water jacketed turbos and I will talk to them and have them help me decide which turbo intercooler etc to use in my set up. Basically let them engineer it and I fabricate it and install it
Old 10-23-2020, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 438 Likes on 141 Posts

You`re in Columbia with no parts or support and you`re going to try to build a turbo motor ? Why not just go the easy way throw on whipple or roots and call it a day ?
Old 10-23-2020, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
You`re in Columbia with no parts or support and you`re going to try to build a turbo motor ? Why not just go the easy way throw on whipple or roots and call it a day ?
I will build it at my buddys shop in pa. And rig the boat there and get it all sorted out before I ship it down. Amazon delivers here and I can get stuff shipped for a buck a lb. Im sure I can find 5.3 motors at the boneyard here if needed in the future.

I have all my tools here and mig and tig welders For building my cars and 4x4s.

my buddy has some cool autoMagic welders for welding tubing etc. Id like to sell the complete turbo kits if it performs well. He currently sells all kind of crazy frames and parts to make drag bikeS that run on 30 hp Honda equipment engines that started life at 6.5hp lol.

all we have to fabricate is the turbo mount that bolts to someone elses LS marine exhaust manifold and fabricate the tubing for the turbo plumbing and make the tails so it will fit in a side by side application and feverything else I can buy.

I remember the Renault 1.5L 4 cyl turbo engines from the 80s in F1. They made 1247 hp for qualifying and 900+ in race trim Im only looking for just over 2hp per ci.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by iliveonanisland View Post
im just trying to figure out which turbo manufacturer has water jacketed turbos and I will talk to them and have them help me decide which turbo intercooler etc to use in my set up. Basically let them engineer it and I fabricate it and install it
IMO it won't be as easy as you think finding a water cooled turbo to bolt on to your application, I could be wrong. There might be some trial and error. If it was me, I would put the biggest intercooler you can reasonably fit.

If I'm not mistaken,there is a member on this site with a turboed ls. I think he has it in a platoon boat. Try doing a search.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.