Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Holley Carb issues >

Holley Carb issues

Notices

Holley Carb issues

Old 11-22-2020, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

I never had any issue like this with out of the box new carbs (950hp blower motors)
I mean "ebay special" so you saved a few bucks and now it doesn`t work and you have to spend all this time and work to get it to work right ?! I would have thrown it in the garbage long ago .
Being cheap never works out .

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
The following 5 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
dykstra (11-23-2020), GLENAMY 242SS (11-22-2020), Griff (11-22-2020), ThisIsLivin (11-22-2020), TomZ (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Holley QuickFuel 850 Marine on sale now from Holley $673.13
I can't believe it took this long for somebody to finally break the egg.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the issue is the PCE metering blocks. thats a given.

the issue with them is the IFR and emulsion jets are too small. comparing them to the QFT blocks at the speed shop, they look to be a copy of the QFT blocks other than the jet sizes.

since the jets are undersized, I have a bag of jets coming along with a bag of air bleeds.

yes the blocks have the siphon breaks (or kill bleeds)
The following users liked this post:
liberator221 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

With the current price of Holley sniper efi, I don’t think I’m ever going to mess with a carb again. Been down this road many times. Really sucks when you need to save money but it ends up costing more
The following 3 users liked this post by Unlimited jd:
ICDEDPPL (11-22-2020), liberator221 (11-22-2020), sonicss42 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
With the current price of Holley sniper efi, I don’t think I’m ever going to mess with a carb again. Been down this road many times. Really sucks when you need to save money but it ends up costing more
not going to go EFI, even if it was free. the amount of knowledge that I have gained over the past 3 weeks on fuel system tuning has been invaluable.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Danforth
not going to go EFI, even if it was free. the amount of knowledge that I have gained over the past 3 weeks on fuel system tuning has been invaluable.
why not? I’ve done a ton with carbs, built my own blow through setup, nitrous, roots blowers etc. so many benefits to efi that if the price point is close I have no reason not to.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (11-23-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Danforth
1) Your still dead in the water trying to figure out a misfit/ miss matched holley carb... even if you do get it figured out - how reliable is the fix until the next problem? This thread is on page 3??

Play devil's advocate and pay yourself an hourly rate (Same as a service shop) for the BS head scratching you are going through and the cost of a tow call... a NEW carb may be the cheapest/ most reliable and safest long term fix. I am not soap boxing as most everyone has tried to make a carb work for the money but, there comes a time when the garbage bin is the proper course of action

2) Why knock EFI? It's simple, adaptable to most power levels and the kits work.... plus the fuel metering calibrations if properly set actually help the longevity of the engines.

My $0.02

Last edited by speicher lane; 11-22-2020 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by speicher lane:
ICDEDPPL (11-23-2020), TomZ (11-23-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
why not? I’ve done a ton with carbs, built my own blow through setup, nitrous, roots blowers etc. so many benefits to efi that if the price point is close I have no reason not to.
because 100% of fuel injected motors have left me stranded on the side of the road over the past 1.5 million miles and 40 years boating. only once did a carbed vehicle leave me stranded, and it was the ignition trigger
Old 11-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
1) Your still dead in the water trying to figure out a misfit/ miss matched holley carb... even if you do get it figured out - how reliable is the fix until the next problem? This thread is on page 3??

Play devil's advocate and pay yourself an hourly rate (Same as a service shop) for the BS head scratching you are going through and the cost of a tow call... a NEW carb may be the cheapest/ most reliable and safest long term fix. I am not soap boxing as most everyone has tried to make a carb work for the money but, there comes a time when the garbage bin is the proper course of action

2) Why knock EFI? It's simple, adaptable to most power levels and the kits work.... plus the fuel metering calibrations if properly set actually help the longevity of the engines.

My $0.02
BTDT with EFI systems on motors since the mid 80's, every one failed for one thing or another resulting in a tow, and in two cases, waiting on the side of the road for over 10 hours until the tow truck showed up because a failed cam sensor or a failed knock sensor. only once have I had a carb'd motor fail where I could not get it going and that was the ignition trigger in a mallory dizzy. now I carry a spare in the boat along with the tools to fix it. I have even drove 25 miles home with a failed mechanical fuel pump on my old mud truck by rigging up a gravity feed system for the carb using a cooler, my tee shirt and a pocket knife and cutting the fuel line from under the vehicle.

even the new vehicle of the wife's is on the 2nd throttle pedal, throttle body and throttle controller and the vehicle only has 45k on the odometer

not knocking EFI, built plenty of projects with everything from Westers tuned GM ECM's to holley DFI to megasquirt to 034 Motorsports EFI over the years. Just dont want it in the boat.

as stated prior, awaiting the new pack of air bleeds and emulsion jets from Summit to show up so I can see how the carb responds to the opened up IFR, PVCR and Emulsion jets.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have to stand up for my fellow carb runners. I have a high compression, big cam motor that runs like a dream with a carb. I don't have a wide band so I have been gradually backing down jets and using an Otoscope to check plugs to make sure I haven't gone to far. I also have to admit I am running a Daytona Sensors ignition that has idle control through digital timing control. I don't have a choke and I boat in some very cold weather. My boat starts great, idles great and I can cruise down the river for an hour at 650rpm. Actually once it's been started once for the day, it's the fastest starting vehicle I own. I once ran my batteries down so my starter would only bump over one compression stroke. All I had to do is give the throttle a little bump and hit the key as quick as I could and that baby started right up. Try doing that with EFI. All one has to do is read the forums and the plethora of issues with EFI. I am an EFI guy, I have HPTuner software and have tuned almost all of my vehicles. I have installed EFI on one of my hot rods and yes I got it to run great. But then again so does my carb and it gets great fuel economy and fewer parts to go bad. All you need is a spare fuel pump and your good to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.