Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps >

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Notices

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 1,481 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I did not put any holes in them. They come with 1 hole in them for air pockets. I will probably not drill any holes in them right away. I'll see where my pressure is an go from there. I also just put those in my Merc 420's w/ 500 EFI cam builds. Those engines ran hotter water and oil than I like with 420 stock hardware. Nothing like spending $160 on thermostats. Why do I do this again... lol
Aside from the hole in the stats and your 5/16 restricter in your bypass is that your only source of cooling the exhaust until stats open?
Old 01-07-2021, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I run in water temps that range from 34 to 76 degrees. I have a 524CI BBC that's a GM Mark IV block with AFR heads and a Brodix HV2000 intake, and Lightning headers. I am running the Hardin stainless pump that I have ported for better flow with a crossover and racing 160 thermostat. It came with 3 3/16" holes and I still have the divider under the thermostat. I added a -10 line from back to front to even out the cooling. According to my lab grade IR temp gun the front and rear of my cylinder heads are with 2 degrees of each other. I have slightly modified the headers to allow for more flow as well. When running wide open across the lake I run about 165 on the gauge. idling for any length and I'm 140-150 if the water is warm. When Lake Huron is cold, I'm lucky to hit 130 pushing it. My oil cooler is a bit too small, but with Amsoil as long as I'm under 300 degrees I'm fine. I couldn't ask for a more consistent and even cooling system.

those lightenings have a sound of their own don’t they... Also good info. Like abones mentioned every application can differ. I will be running large stat controlled oil coolers. I suspect they’ll only open on hard runs with lake mi water temps.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
those lightenings have a sound of their own don’t they... Also good info. Like abones mentioned every application can differ. I will be running large stat controlled oil coolers. I suspect they’ll only open on hard runs with lake mi water temps.
Yes they do, I took the mufflers off last year as I finally got it to idle well at lower RPM for cruising down the rivers. You can really hear when the engine gets on the cam at 3000rpm, it let's out a roar that gives me chills. It's better than drugs.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
abones (01-07-2021), getrdunn (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Aside from the hole in the stats and your 5/16 restricter in your bypass is that your only source of cooling the exhaust until stats open?
No, I plumb the rear of the intakes into each header. I don't believe there would be enough flow if I didn't. Also at 120°F I'm assuming they will open relatively fast. I do plan to open the bypass to 3/8".
See 2nd pic post #8
Old 01-07-2021, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
No, I plumb the rear of the intakes into each header. I don't believe there would be enough flow if I didn't. Also at 120°F I'm assuming they will open relatively fast. I do plan to open the bypass to 3/8".
See 2nd pic post #8
That’s right. I had forgotten that. Yes makes more “since” to me now! 👀.