I think I lose my prime >

I think I lose my prime

Notices

I think I lose my prime

Old 02-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think I lose my prime

I have a 1997 rebuilt 454 with weind supercharger . Very hard to start when it has not been used for a few days. Carburetor rebuilt, Plugs and electrical system checked and all OK new plugs. Fuel tank drained and cleaned. When it starts it must warm up to about 125° and will run on its own. Can start at any time with no problems after initial starting.Runs great it’s just hard starting. It’s like it doesn’t wanna get any fuel then it starts to sound like Hydro lock and before you know it is flooded. That fast it happens. This time I check my fuel pressure gauge in line . Zero pressure. Crank it three or four seconds. No fuel pressure. Repeat and watch fuel pressure go up but not fully. Repeat cranking procedure for the third time and fuel pressure is full.Stop cranking and Pumped throttle all the way four shots And back with throttle and add approximately 1/4 throttle and crank again . Crank and backfire and engine starts. Sounds like I’m losing prime then with the pumping of four times almost floods engine and that’s where the backfire is coming from and then it starts. Any ideas why it will be losing prime as evidence by the fuel pressure gauge? The next time I will try this procedure and not use four full throttle pumps and just use two So as not to flood engine and see what happens but at this point I’m looking for possibilities on why the fuel is not remaining in line.can not see or get to float bowls to check but from what I had mentioned it certainly sounds like no fuel in the beginning and then try to start it floods it but when it starts it’s smokes from excessive fuel A little. Does it sound like I’m on the right highway or am I going into a ditch?
Old 02-11-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Not uncommon for carbed SC'd engines to be cold blooded. Just because there is no fuel pressure in the line when its cold does not mean there isn't any fuel in the line.
Just give it a couple pumps of fuel initially and try to start for 1-2 secs. If it doesn't start, give it another pump and 1-2 seconds.

BTW, what carb?? Does it have a choke??
Old 02-11-2021, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Definitely seems carb related although don’t stop just there. Check plug wires, FO, cap rotar and all grounds. Even cold blooded with a couple pumps should fire right up. Typically stall out if not with it without additional squirts of fuel and let idle at 1,500-1,800 for a couple minutes. You confirm PV’s okay if any. Is it a boost referenced 1050 Dom but again like griff mentioned “what carb?”

Be nice to borrow a carb to try!!!
Old 02-11-2021, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

If you ever had a backfire through the carb, you may have damaged the power valve.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,490 Likes on 805 Posts

Some of us lose our prime and mind. 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by getrdunn:
Helmwurst (02-16-2021), SB (02-12-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Not uncommon for carbed SC'd engines to be cold blooded. Just because there is no fuel pressure in the line when its cold does not mean there isn't any fuel in the line.
Just give it a couple pumps of fuel initially and try to start for 1-2 secs. If it doesn't start, give it another pump and 1-2 seconds.

BTW, what carb?? Does it have a choke??
no choke on a blown motor. Have done all possible combinations every time I go to start this boat same result. The big thing is the numbers on the fuel pressure gauge. I believe that there is no fuel in the bowl or it would show some signs of wanting to start, even a burp. And the fact that when you start pumping it and evidently due to the smoke when she does get started shows Flooded condition. Using starter fluid definitely allows the engine to start much much quicker therefore showing no burnable fuel at start up until fuel pressure fills the bowls then goes into the engine to run.Been thinking of an electronic fuel pump that will run until the bowlI fills but that scares me. Also thinking about replacing the Holly double pumper that’s on it even though it was rebuilt it’s the original.

Last edited by Jojoegen; 02-13-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

WHAT CARB ?????
How can there be no fuel in the bowls?? Pretty easy to check. Pull the sight plugs.
A mechanical fuel pump will loose prime over extended periods of sitting.

BTW, I had a hopped up 525sc with a Holley 1050, so been there and done that.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:01 AM
Registered

no sight glass.no fuel activating accel pump so there’s no doubt that there is no fuel in the bowl until primed a number of times. Why is there a leak down, don’t know and then electric fuel pump scares the hell out of me. I know she’s a cold blooded animal but she can’t be that cold
Originally Posted by Griff
WHAT CARB ?????
How can there be no fuel in the bowls?? Pretty easy to check. Pull the sight plugs.
A mechanical fuel pump will loose prime over extended periods of sitting.

BTW, I had a hopped up 525sc with a Holley 1050, so been there and done that.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

What make, model and size carb are you using?
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 AM
Registered

Look for a number but for some reason cannot find it. Look on the carburetor body where it normally is and found nothing. This is quite disturbing. If I had an electric pump it would prime it self which would probably take care of most of the problem but after seeing what happens to Boat when there is a little bit of fuel in the bilge without knowing it, I really feel like I should stick with a mechanical pump. This is getting to be a real pain

Last edited by Jojoegen; 02-13-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.