496 Questions

Notices

496 Questions

Old 02-25-2021, 09:01 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by PENN YAN
Thank you! On all of my past 350/260s and this engine I run mercury or quicksilver oil and filters. Got a pile of them when Gander Mountain went out of business and can usually pick up oil when on sale. I looked up plug wires cost and holly cow! Are they connected right into each ignition coil so you’re buying the coil as well??
No, they are not connected. Neither is Mercruiser with reality.

Many threads on high quality replacement wires for more normal prices. One thread is very recent.

It’s the .060” plug gaps that wear out ignition components faster than they should. I feel like a broken record.
The following users liked this post:
OLDRAT (02-27-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

When the exchanger gaskets warp, they won't let the seawater into the coolant side, that's not what they are sealing, it's just the end caps they seal. When the warping happens, they can restrict seawater flow through the cooler and it runs hot then.

If you are dying to replace your plug wires, here is a set some of us have used. I have them on mine now, made in USA Moroso wires for $70. 18-8838-1 84-881698,496-8.1 lr, distributor less ign, Ignition Parts mag star Wire Sets.Ignition Wire Set 120/140 discount high voltage ignition wire sets, s.s. coil core magstar v-6 wire sets, v-8 magstar ignition wires discounted, mercruiser h.e.i.

For spare parts, an IAC valve is common to carry. There's been lots of forum conversations about these as you can get genuine or aftermarket ones. Many caution using the aftermarket ones so I went with OEM for a spare myself.
Ryan00TJ (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You dont need wires, I have hundreds of hours on my coils, you dont need them either. Use the big oil filter, it helps with idle oil pressure.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
When the exchanger gaskets warp, they won't let the seawater into the coolant side, that's not what they are sealing, it's just the end caps they seal. When the warping happens, they can restrict seawater flow through the cooler and it runs hot then.

If you are dying to replace your plug wires, here is a set some of us have used. I have them on mine now, made in USA Moroso wires for $70.

For spare parts, an IAC valve is common to carry. There's been lots of forum conversations about these as you can get genuine or aftermarket ones. Many caution using the aftermarket ones so I went with OEM for a spare myself.
Thanks for the xchanger explanation, that helps a lot. I am most certainly not looking to replace the wires, and really have no reason to replace the plugs either so we’ll see.

Will read up on the IAC (Had to google that). Thanks again
Old 02-27-2021, 01:07 PM
Registered

Can anyone recommend a good experienced mechanic who will travel to my boat location and has worked on 496s in the southern Delaware/Ocean City MD area? I had all of my service done near Annapolis last year prior to moving the boat. I have a reputable mechanic that I trust, but he does not work on these engines much at all so it is always nice to have someone on retainer that is very knowledgeable with the engine. The boat is stored on a lift with no ability to trailer, so local marinas are not an option for that reason as well as a few other reasons.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder

If you are dying to replace your plug wires, here is a set some of us have used. I have them on mine now, made in USA Moroso wires for $70. 18-8838-1 84-881698,496-8.1 lr, distributor less ign, Ignition Parts mag star Wire Sets.Ignition Wire Set 120/140 discount high voltage ignition wire sets, s.s. coil core magstar v-6 wire sets, v-8 magstar ignition wires discounted, mercruiser h.e.i.

Just searching forums. I need new wires for my 496 MAG's, I clicked the link, called and got a disconnected number? Is there another avenue for the Moroso wires? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Their FB page has no posts since 2017
Old 05-17-2021, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 131 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Their FB page has no posts since 2017
yeah I saw that and the website was last updated in 2017. I had to double check this thread date and the site/wires are still recommended but I can’t find the wires on a search. So anyone that had a link to the wires or alternative I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

edited. I did some more searching, the Volvo Penta 3861295 is the same wire as the Merc wire for ~$75 a set from all the posts comparing the two. Everyone said they were identical when changing them. FYI for anyone looking, I think I’ll give them a shot.

Last edited by HOSSMAN; 05-17-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Griff (05-17-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 05:35 AM
Registered

Still keeping my eyes out for a good mechanic in southern Delaware/OCMD area. # knockonwood