Notices

Holley Super Snipper Input

Old 04-06-2021, 08:28 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Holley Super Snipper Input

Well, can't believe I am thinking about doing this but I here I am. Cut my teeth on the Kinsler EFI stuff several years back. Went with carbs after that. Now I find myself looking to clean up idle and low speed operation with my config that includes 10-71's. Was looking at going to Daytona Sensors ignition. But they are backed up so now so I am looking at Holley's 1250 Super Snipper package which provides fuel and timing control. Understanding that installing some O2 bungs will be interesting. But I also hear that the size of IAC's in some packaged systems at times creates some challenges. So, I am reaching out looking for to from folks that have switched over to the Holley system with 1000+ hp applications. Really interested in how the system worked out for idle quality and going into gear. Currently running 1.48 gears with 18 x 31 four blades with a decent amount of cup which probably act like 18 x 33's. When it is all said and done, is the juice worth the squeeze in doing the Holley System or would the Daytona product probably accomplish the desired result with less effort? Thanks in advance for any input! Bob 239-284-7284
Old 04-06-2021, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 496 Likes on 271 Posts

I installed the Sniper system on 177 blowers on 468's making 620hp on the dyno. I am using the Daytona ignition system as well. It was super simple for initial setup and basic tuning. I haven't even scratched the surface of the fine tuning ability of the combined system. The data logging is a very useful tool.
Cold start and maneuvering around the dock is waaaaaay better than when they had carbs.
I have manifolds so the O2 sensor installation was pretty easy, I just made a couple of spacer blocks.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 4,310 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Daytona is nice but comparing it to a full EFI system is like comparing the first brick phone to an I phone.
You can set a timing curve and some idle options but thats about it.

I`m not sure what the Super sniper is all about but I like and run a seperate ECU (HP). Isn`t the sniper ecu built into the TB?
Don`t like that .
The initial set up is more complicated but it`s all worth it .
With blowers and carbs you gotta dump a bunch of fuel at idle to keep it from dying when you shift. Washing down cylinders at idle all day is no good for an engine.

I`d never go back to carbs .

The safety features alone is worth the price.
The fuel efficiency starts paying for itself from day one.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:06 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Daytona is nice but comparing it to a full EFI system is like comparing the first brick phone to an I phone.
You can set a timing curve and some idle options but thats about it.

I`m not sure what the Super sniper is all about but I like and run a seperate ECU (HP). Isn`t the sniper ecu built into the TB?
Don`t like that .
The initial set up is more complicated but it`s all worth it .
With blowers and carbs you gotta dump a bunch of fuel at idle to keep it from dying when you shift. Washing down cylinders at idle all day is no good for an engine.

I`d never go back to carbs .

The safety features alone is worth the price.
The fuel efficiency starts paying for itself from day one.
Thanks for the good info. Agree 100% that EFI operation is by far a better approach. I used to run the Kinsler stuff and it was a cleaner running system, made good hp, probably even compared to the latest systems I would think, but in the end not all that user friendly. Systems have definitely become easier to program and use I believe. It would be great if my budget would support new motors and drives from Merc and make operation much easier. However, right now my budget will not support that. My objective at this time is to improve the motors ability to go into gear and consequently lean down the idle a/f. Some folks say the Daytona system provides the ability to clean up the idle to a certain degree and go into gear easier? I am with you, I don't know if the Sniper's management system incorporated in the TB is as good as a seperate package. Anyone have any experience with the Sniper system? Resurrected seems to be pleased running both systems. Anyone have any experience with switching over to the Daytona system in a supercharged application and replacing a fixed timing system? Thanks, Bob
Old 04-07-2021, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm not at 1000hp, but I'd never use a carb again. Sniper is super easy install, and I have a welded O2 bung. Starts up immediately and never dies, or runs rough regardless of the weather (as long as it isn't raining or snowing I am boating, so sometimes it can be cold).
Old 04-08-2021, 07:29 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Well I reached out to Kinsler and see what they recommend for a system. As it stands, looks like everyone is challenged to have any inventories of merchandise be it Daytona or Holley.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The safety features alone is worth the price..

To me this is why i went to the full EFI system...melt/lean down an engine and everything else seems cheap....
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (04-08-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
To me this is why i went to the full EFI system...melt/lean down an engine and everything else seems cheap....
Carbs seem safer than an EFI malfunction imo. The fuel economy and idle seems like enough to push it in EFIs favor still.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have to admit I like the simplicity of the carburetor. Especially when you boat in an extremely deserted area, there's less to go wrong. I do love the ability of tuning with my laptop and not having my hands smell like gas because I had to change jets. It took me awhile, but I got my carb sorted out and with a Daytona Sensors ignition it runs like EFI. Even without a choke or cold idle circuit it starts easy even in very cold temps. I boat in temps from the mid 40's to the upper 90's and water temps from 34-78 degrees. With the right power valves you can get great economy from a card as well. I get 2+ mpg at 55-60 with 524ci BBC in my Velocity. It's the fastest starting combustion engine I own. I ran my batteries down once and it would only crank one compression stroke, but I got it started. When I first got this boat I swore I was going to switch it to EFI. Now with the right setup I really like my carb. Just saying, set up right they are both good, just fewer pieces and parts with a carb and a lot less money.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 4,310 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Carbs seem safer than an EFI malfunction imo. The fuel economy and idle seems like enough to push it in EFIs favor still.
I was reffering to the guardian system safety which will cut power if something goes wrong, no longer need to watch gauges like a hawk. Holley will cut power if something goes wrong.
If you don`t notice that low oil pressure (for example) and keep running the engine till the bearings are shot you just payed for the holley EFI which would have saved that motor .

The following 3 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
abones (04-08-2021), Gimme Fuel (04-09-2021), Rookie (04-08-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.