600/700 SCI intake heat shield

Notices

600/700 SCI intake heat shield

Old 05-09-2021, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 600/700 SCI intake heat shield

I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, so here is my problem. After finishing the top end on my 600 SCIs this evening, and thinking "that's done", then I noticed my intake heat shield still sitting on the bench. I'm sure it should be installed, BUT does it need to. I have a hundred other things I need to get finished, and I really don't feel like tearing off my intake to install the heat shield if it really isn't needed. I rerouted the intercooler pick up line so the intercooler is going to be cooler than it had been in the past. So is it a big deal if the heat shield is missing, or is this a must have item?
Old 05-09-2021, 10:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

Unless you want to relocate the PCV valve, you’ll want to put it back in, otherwise , you’ll be using oil
The following users liked this post:
endeavour32 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-09-2021, 10:06 PM
SB
Registered

Received 1,157 Likes on 501 Posts

IF There is a pcv on the intake manifold like the na blue engines , it will suck oil like mad without the intake valley tray.

Any of the valve cover holes baffled ?

It appears cv or pcv is put into intake:
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31381/14331/170

Old 05-09-2021, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=SB;4789025]IF There is a pcv on the intake manifold like the na blue engines , it will suck oil like mad without the intake valley tray.

Any of the valve cover holes baffled ?

It appears cv or pcv is put into intake:
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31381/14331/170

Unfortunately I'm not going to be around the engine until next weekend. Honestly, I can't tell you how it is rigged. I'm hoping someone is familiar with this engine to say, no problem, or no way. So far it is sounding like I better plan on removing the intake. Ha, I was also just looking at the parts diagram trying to get some incite on this. As to the valve covers, I'm 90% sure they are not baffled. If this is a must do, I want to order new intake gaskets because I won't be walking into my local parts store and getting them.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 300 Likes on 169 Posts

Mike I get the time thing. Difficult with your limited time and travel distance to and from. That had to be a oh fk moment Iím sure 🙈. I was going to suggest just put a baffled valve cover on or modify yours and deal with the tray later. I just donít know if any sensors would put the engine in any default mode. I wouldnít think but.... Thatís the way Srís blowers engines were vented years ago and no known issues.

As long as you donít spend more time than [email protected] the intake.
tgorbett (05-10-2021)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,216 Likes on 589 Posts

Its there for a reason put it in.......
Old 05-10-2021, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cool

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
Its there for a reason put it in.......
HA- Yes I'm sure it's there for a reason. I ordered the new intake gaskets this morning, it will be going back in!
Old 05-10-2021, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by getrdunn View Post
Mike I get the time thing. Difficult with your limited time and travel distance to and from. That had to be a oh fk moment Iím sure 🙈. I was going to suggest just put a baffled valve cover on or modify yours and deal with the tray later. I just donít know if any sensors would put the engine in any default mode. I wouldnít think but.... Thatís the way Srís blowers engines were vented years ago and no known issues.

As long as you donít spend more time than [email protected] the intake.
Ha, I'm just going to get started early on Saturday morning. When it is all said and done, it will probable take 3 hours to fix. Removing and installing the intake bolts takes forever on that intake. Other than that it's simple, but not quick like a carb intake. I wouldn't think twice if that is what is was like to remove. I won't make this mistake again.
speicher lane (05-10-2021)