Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 surging and loading up? >

502 surging and loading up?

Notices

502 surging and loading up?

Old 07-13-2021, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got off the phone with the repair shop, they said the computer has no fault codes, said all sensors are functioning as should. Timing is set at 8 degrees, he did say the fuel pressure was a little low at 26psi so they are going to look into that. He did also say that 502mpi's are known for surging between 1000-1200rpms, of which Im not so sure what to think off.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

He did also say that 502mpi's are known for surging between 1000-1200rpms,
My old VST 502 never did
Old 07-14-2021, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbwtie
Just got off the phone with the repair shop, they said the computer has no fault codes, said all sensors are functioning as should. Timing is set at 8 degrees, he did say the fuel pressure was a little low at 26psi so they are going to look into that. He did also say that 502mpi's are known for surging between 1000-1200rpms, of which Im not so sure what to think off.
Fuel pressure regulators notorious for going bad on these. Mine was surging at idle a lot and was difficult to hot start. All of that went right away when I changed the regulator and had proper fuel pressure again.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (11-20-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Registered

Honestly pretty frustrated with the repair shop right now. Repair shop scheduled in for July 6, this was scheduled a month out. I finally called them at the end of the week and they said they did not have time to get to it and didnt think they would this week. I asked if I could pull it out and use it this weekend since summer is short and not loose my spot, his response is, "we will see what we can do". After further convo he agrees it will be right back in line, I dropped if back of sunday night, never heard anything. Called them tuesday the 13th and found out they had looked at it and they found the low fuel pressure but would have to figurie out what to do about that. I said thats fine, I am leaving for vacation tomorrow (the 14th) so you will have to leave me a voicemail. Almost another week goes by and I still havent heard from them, so on the 20th I call them wondering whats up, they respond with "its ready to be picked up, the low fuel pressure isnt anything that can be addressed and it is what it is". At this point Im frustrated and say fine whats my bill. He didnt have it completed yet but will call later with it. Later that same day a lady calls and tells me its $215. The very next morning i get a call wondering when I am picking it up because they are limited on space, then again that after noon reminding me to pick up. Like really, this things been there for weeks and you have yet once to call me and I told you I was on vacation.

So all in all i guessed I have learned that all 502s surge, and there is nothing to be done about low fuel pressure.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Crazy.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,041 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Where are you located ?
Old 07-21-2021, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 149 Posts

Tell em to choke on their $215!
low fuel pressure can be fixed!
Think it should be in the 38-43 range depending on app.
The following 3 users liked this post by liberator221:
articfriends (11-20-2021), bdbwtie (07-21-2021), Gimme Fuel (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 02:13 PM
Registered

Grand Rapids, MI
Old 07-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Registered

Well I took the boat out yesterday after picking it up from the marina, after cleaning all the grease stains of my brand new interior that is. Boat ran rough as usual, there was a couple instances going through no wake that it would stutter and I wondered if it was gonna recover. I took a video of it doing it but I cant upload it as it isnt the correct format. Another thing I noticed is after a 30 minute run, mostly no wake I shut it down for 10 minutes or so, after refiring it was steaming a ton from starboard side only. I havent noticed this before, it followed as we accelerated to the no wake zone and then for a few minutes into the no wake. Boat was running at 160 degrees, normally I would think riser/manifold gaskets but I just did those this spring as they were leaking externally. I would think if they were leaking internally it would also cause runability issues, however it isnt ever steaming when its running rough. Ive got a call into a couple other marinas now, but being the heat of the summer Im sure Ill be waiting until fall.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbwtie

So all in all i guessed I have learned that all 502s surge, and there is nothing to be done about low fuel pressure.
Sure can with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator that bolts in place of the OE unit. I have one on my 454 MPI with surge issues that haven't been solved in almost 4 years.

Help Chasing Erratic Idle Please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.