Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Mercury or Yamaha O/Bs?! >

Mercury or Yamaha O/Bs?!

Like Tree0Likes

Mercury or Yamaha O/Bs?!

Old 11-19-2002, 11:55 AM
Curt Lawnicki

Question Mercury or Yamaha O/Bs?!

I have a 2000 29' Lightning Performance Center Console that I need to re-power. After putting a deposit down on a pair of new 2002 Yamaha 250 EFI's I hear that it will run over 10 mph slower than using twin Mercury 225 EFI's?! Can this be?

Here are the specifics: Two boats exact same model (Lightning Performance 29CC) with jack plates. Very light boat without many amenities.

One with new 250 Yamaha EFI's running 61 mph with a 28 pitch Bravo one prop hitting 5700 rpm.

The other with a pr of 2001 Mercury 225 EFI's running 72 mph on GPS with same 28 pitch Bravo One props. This boat had a radar arch and more drag.

They ran side by side and the Mercury equiped boat blew the other away.

My plan was to sell my '93 200 HP carborated Mariners and get some more dependable motors and at $11K each the Yamahas seemed like a deal even considering the extra expense for gauges and harness. The problem, I don't want to sacrifice 10 mph.

Incidently, my boat ran 57 mpg on a GPS with a cupped 24 pitch Mirage and the tired Mariners.

I see the gear ratio of the Yamaha is 1.81:1 while the mercury is 1.75:1. Is this part of the problem? The displacement of the Mercury is 185 ci while the Yamaha is 191....

Any input is appreciated.

St. Petersburg, FL

Old 11-19-2002, 02:00 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Curt, Welcome to the board. As to your question, I am a Yamaha fan from way back. You will probably lose some performance but will have more years of trouble free service with the Yamahas. I have been through the hassles of Mercury outboards in the past. Don't get me wrong, if I was looking for that last few mph's or in your case last 10 mph, I would spring for the Mercs. If reliability is first on the list go with the Yamahas. The electronics are better.
When I bought my Yamaha, the harness, gauges, throttle and propeller came with the package, unlike Mercury.
I have heard that the electronics were upgraded on the new Mercs. Will have to see.
Go to the www.screamandfly.com forum and ask the same question.
Those are the outboard guys.