Notices

Ethanol Free Gas - any cons?

Old 08-14-2021, 07:30 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The internet dudes says it`s fine, bad fuel does not cause any issues. SEND IT!
Dan in all honesty James has been around the block. Throttled a boat that ran around 180 and had motors with two of Whipples biggest and baddest superchargers on each. However, I too have seen our current fuels trash motors after being left to sit for 7-8 months.

The following users liked this post:
SB (09-21-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Ethanol has been used in gasoline since the late 20's. Albeit not by all manufacturers. The govt mandated it in 2007. But there have been "up to 10% ethanol stickers on pumps since sometime in the 80's where I was from and probably all major metropolitan areas. Being you've got a '96, I would expect it to be compatible with gasoline containing ethanol. Or if nothing else the components that would be effected have been, or are due to be, replaced over the years.
I also have zero issues with the dreaded fuel boil with my engine whereas most others do and I live in Florida. All others I see posting about it are using fuels containing ethanol. And what's said in the manual about alcohol in fuel on post #23.

Last edited by Tractionless; 09-20-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I had possession of James 10,000+$ Laboratory grade Zeltex octane tester, for 4 or 5 months a few years ago, was quite a piece of equipment (thanks James) . I tested samples within a 300 mile radius from quite afew gas stations. The octane exceeded the advertised slightly in almost everyone of them except one. As far as the light ends and other additives needed to run well also, no, it only tested alch % and octane BUT his exact meter is used by MANY states, agencys etc.
"Zeltex has portable octane analyzers in over 70% of state fuel testing labs in the United States, as well as military and government labs worldwide, major refineries, wholesalers, pipelines, and many other sites. The ZX-101C allows you to analyze your fuel where you need it most, when you need it"

Originally Posted by SB
BTW: This is cool to hear, as you probably found out, no one (privately) has anything like this around. Sure it opened your eyes a lot. Is it possible, it has fooled them some too ? This is round table talk for discussion. Not jabbing.
Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I looked at a ton of videos on electronic octane testers and they all seemed to be losers . The only accurate way to test octane rating is a Combustion Fuel Research (CFR) engine (also known as a knock engine).
Originally Posted by James
My engine blew up - it must be Exxons fault !!!. I was 100% sure that gasoline suppliers were cheating on Octane. Years ago I purchased a Zeltex electronic tester. The price of the Zeltex electronic tester was almost the same price as an engine. If I could save an engine in the future the tester would pay for itself. I tested gasoline form every mom and pop gas station, 7-11's, high volume stores, marinas......lots and lots of tests. Then I purchase 15+ one gallon containers and left some indoors, some outdoors, some with vents open and allowed the gas to age, the longest test was 3 years of fuel just sitting. I tested fuel with ethanol and without, I tested until I was 100% sure that the I was getting screwed. Bad news boys, every single test PASSED the octane it was rated for on the pump. If the pump says "minimum 89 octane" - believe it. In fact if it say 89 it will really be 90 octane 100% of the time. If the pump says 92, it is going to be 93 octane. If the pumps says "up to 10% ethanol" the most I have seen is 8%. So how about old gas 2-3 years old.........smells like chit, looks terrible and yet it still has the original octane value. So how accurate is the tester ??? I tried to fool it, I added water to the gas.....octane values went up, I added magic STP and every other octane additive I could find, the Octane rating went up exactly as calculated. Please ready the label of the octane booster. 10 points = 1 octane. If you have 89 octane fuel and your pour a quart into 20 gallons you may have raised the octane 1 point for a total of 89.1 octane. Gasoline stored 1-2 years is going to be good, the gas may smell it, may have lost critical volitials and the engine may not start, the fuel may be yellow, thick and nasty, but the octane will be ok.

Last edited by articfriends; 09-22-2021 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by bob
Dan in all honesty James has been around the block. Throttled a boat that ran around 180 and had motors with two of Whipples biggest and baddest superchargers on each. However, I too have seen our current fuels trash motors after being left to sit for 7-8 months.
okay.
Well I got everything fixed and been running around again all over from Cumberland to Indiana. No issues . last 7 years I never broke down due to a catastrophic engine failure .
I get bad gas and $hit goes sideways within 10 minutes but it wasnt the gas ?
Sorry but it was the gas and not some part failure I don`t care how many boats or how fast , plain and simple he`s wrong .