Broken starter blot/block Merc V6 >

Broken starter blot/block Merc V6

Notices

Broken starter blot/block Merc V6

Old 08-10-2021, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
1996, so should me pg (gear reduction) style mini starter, right ? Not older brace type direct drive starters.

4bbl carb and has smaller gear reduction starter.. Has no provision for bracket support and none is shown w/mercury parts catalog.
The following users liked this post:
SB (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by PA.WOODCHUCK
4bbl carb and has smaller gear reduction starter.. Has no provision for bracket support and none is shown w/mercury parts catalog.
This sounds like the same Delco "metric" gear-reduction starter mine has installed. If it's the same as mine, they're good starters but they do use special bolts with stepped knurling (steps from 3/8" to 10mm half way up the knurling). Not sure if your going that way but heads-up if you decide to repair block and replace the bolts, the bolts may be special.

Another thought, if one of the bolts was replaced somewhere down the line and it's not thick enough at the knurled area, it would place virtually all the shear load on the other bolt. This would be a quick and easy thing to check assuming the eng is already out.