Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adjusting rocker arms? >

Adjusting rocker arms?

Notices

Adjusting rocker arms?

Old 11-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Yep

The ignition does have to be timed to do this (although not perfectly).
Adjust both the intake and exhaust 1/2 turn down.

The rotor pointing to the spark plug wire means that the cylinder is about to fire.
Obviously no valves will be open when the cylinder is about to fire.
Both valves will be fully closed and thats when you adjust the valves/lifters.
Try it and you will see that it is the easiest way! Good Luck
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 11-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha, learn sumthin new every day. Ive alwasy done it the hard way.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered

The best way I have found is pretty simple. I have called Crane and Comp Cams and they have both said it was o.k. I attach all the rockers down till they are just barely snug. Then I rotate the engine till the cylinder I am adjusting has both rockers stop moving. At that point you know it's at TDC. Adjust each one till you just begin to feel resistence on the pushrod. Go 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after that. Then move two the adjoining cylinder and start again.......Just my two cents.....

Bad-Habit
Old 11-21-2002, 03:56 PM
DonMan

I`ve adjusted valves every way described here and even another way not described. All have worked with success. But I have not tried the method Dennis described. It sounds very easy. I am going to do it this way on my next engine. I`ve learned something new today. Now I can sign off!
THANKS DENNIS!
BTW- Enjoying the BBC Marine book! Thanks!

Donnie Smith

Old 11-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Registered

You could always bring it to Team Chaos in west Michigan and we'd do it for you. But you gotta bring candy orange slices, Oreos, and diet Coke. We might even take you down to the local pub and get you sloshed. Then you'll BE a Team Chaos member.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Registered

Post Even better

Use a degree wheel or timing tape and line up the crank at #1 firing pos (TDC). Cut off the very top of an old distributor cap and install it in position and line up any one of the vertical ribs of the cap with the rotor and tighten the distributor down. While still on #1 firing pos (TDC), adjust both rocker arms on the #1 cylinder. Now rotate the crank 90 degrees on the tape or degree wheel and verify that the rotor is now pointing on the next vertical rib(firing pos 8) of the cut-away cap. At this position, adjust rocker arms on #8. Now rotate the crank another 90 degrees and verify that the rotor indexed another firing position, which should be #4. Adjust both rockers on #4 cylinder. Repeat every 90 degrees on the crank as you follow the firing order.
Firing order......1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2 - 1 again
Crank degrees 0-90-180- 270 -(360/0)-90-180-270-(360/0)
A degree wheel or tape is most accurate but not really needed if you wish to use the rotor only. Just make sure you start at #1 firing position and line up the rotor carefully.
[email protected]