Promaxx heads and Valako

Notices

Promaxx heads and Valako

Old 05-25-2022, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by tpscrtchk
Smitty, just out of curiosity have you ever tried one of those k&n snub stack thingies that are supposed to straighten the air entering the carburetor?
Sorta, years ago we drag raced a 69 GTO w pontiac 400 with a aluminum rods, 5.13 gears, because "everyone" was doing it, we milled off air horn on our holley carb. We didnt do a a/b test with before and after, we went from a smaller carb like a 650 to a milled off 850. we saw better mph. Later on we put a KN stub stack on BUT we were young and made multiple changes all the time so cant say it went faster with it but at time it picked up like half mph.
Recently during a dyno session we tested a "KN FLOW CONTROL" air cleaner. https://www.knfilters.com/racing/flowcontrol.htm
I had actually forgot about them and always wanted to try one. My neighbor had one new in the box, Well, with a nice domed lid vs the kn flow control the kn made afrs worse and we lost about 6 or 8 hp so so much for THAT.
Another thing I DID recently test was a 15 year old KN filter top. I bought a Spectre Chinese copy of one about 10 years ago, tried it on a DRY efi tb motor and a carbed motor, it hurt distribution and lost hp on both so we sorta condemned THAT as something to waste your money on. So recently I dynoed a friends 496 BBC, had AFR 305 heads, healthy non boat friendly cam. With one of my proflow edelbrocks with modded tb we saw 717 hp. with customers box stock VIC jr and 850 carb that was done by norm, we saw 680 something, no air cleaner. So customer drags out this factory drop base air cleaner with a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 element and his KN lid, I laughed and said get ready to see this thing drop 80 hp as filter is clearly too small known from previous dyno testing of air cleaners. Well, I couldn't be more wrong, this thing made almost identical tq and lost maybe 4 hp, I was shocked! so evidently the real KN filter top, at least the old one, actually seems to help air flow where spectres version is a mess, fwiw, Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 05-25-2022 at 07:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by articfriends:
Gimme Fuel (05-26-2022), TomZ (05-26-2022), tpscrtchk (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Smitty, have you tried the Engine Masters salad bowl yet? Everything they have put it on has made more power, it's insane. I'll have to bring my setup by and have you test it. I added a top filter since I took that picture as I have seen multiple tests that show they add hp. The venturi base is about 3" tall so overall it's about 8". Fortunately for me, Velocity has a cold air system in the hatch that my filter sits into so I have room.
Tell me more, always wanting to test new things!
Old 05-25-2022, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Tell me more, always wanting to test new things!
A motortrend+ subscription is soo worth it just for all of the engine masters episodes. Especially in your line of business! I highly recommend it.
The following 5 users liked this post by hogie roll:
articfriends (05-26-2022), Gimme Fuel (05-26-2022), Sonic30ss (05-27-2022), ThisIsLivin (05-26-2022), TomZ (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Smitty,
What I like best about Engine Masters is they have tested many of the little things I have done to tweak my motor and how much HP they have added. I never had time to dyno my motor so I'm pretty happy with what I have, now that I've seen similar testing. I'll pull my FA off this weekend and get it to you for testing. Based on similar comparison tests it should do very well. I still need to get you my injectors for testing as well. Too many car projects, I now have a valve train issue in my 2015 Yukon 6.2. Time for AFM delete and a little more cam, maybe even a Katech head port.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
A motortrend+ subscription is soo worth it just for all of the engine masters episodes. Especially in your line of business! I highly recommend it.
Smitty you would love that show. They actually do a pretty good job of matching conditions for each run (coolant & oil temps, air quality, etc.). They also usually run 8-O2 sensors and have touched on the poor fuel distribution issues in some episodes. One interesting one was them looking at HP and fuel distribution for various style procharger carb hats for instance.

Well worth the subscription for any motorhead.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:17 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
One interesting one was them looking at HP and fuel distribution for various style procharger carb hats for instance.

That one was really good. :thumbs