Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Keith Eickert Headers >

Keith Eickert Headers

Notices

Keith Eickert Headers

Old 11-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Kirk

Question Keith Eickert Headers

Any comments out there based on experience with Keith Eickert cast aluminum headers with the 32 inch runners.

Performance, sound, reliability, etc?

Old 11-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Kirk,

Look for the thread "Aftermarket Exhaust" started by "Formulafastech" it's probably on the next page or two over. There was a very heavy and thorough discussion concerning all the different types of aftermarket exhaust systems within that thread that should keep you interested and answer a lot of questions for a good while!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:27 PM
454hoho

Default Mark/ kirk

I have a very old article from Hot boat mag. that they tested different exhaust headers and found eickert out flowed all others by about 4-6 hp.(again old article) The only problem is CMIs look great,nice and shine. I have the eickerts!
Go to eickert web site, I think they had the flow/hp graph

Old 11-22-2002, 06:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I too have a pair of Eickerts, they are the well designed and the BEST TRUE 32" HEADERS available! Mine have about 250 Hrs., ALL salt water and are still running strong!
The only draw backs are they aren't the eye candy like CMI's, (Although I've seen some KE that were powercoated Merc. racing Blue, and they were BEAUTIFUL), the cost $$, and they are LOUD!! I put Shotgun III mufflers on mine and that really helped!
Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong with them.
MD

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 11-22-2002 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:28 AM
454hoho

Default Dean ???

Do you have the old style eickerts that have the alum. water distribution bar. or the newer style that has the T fittings. I had the old bar style and just switched over to the "T"s (what a job).
Did see some lifting of the powder coat around every water intake port. but removed 28 pounds of weight

Old 11-22-2002, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably the only downside of these is, from personnal experience in a friends Scarab (900hp), is the meltdown that will happen quickly at WOT if you lose water pressure. We melted the headers before the engine water temp or pressure gauges let us know. I am putting low pressure switches on my gils this winter and would suggest them on the PF/Eickets too.
Old 11-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a set for 3 seasons and the next owner is on his 3rd season without problems the best thing I did was install studs instead of using supplied bolts it made install and removal a breeze.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:52 PM
454hoho

Default thanks Van & 31

I have Gaffrig gauges with built in alarms, might be a good idea if i wire in large red shift type shift lamps into water alarms. thanks once more

Old 11-22-2002, 10:52 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Formula 31/Your friend probably(fortunately) had a closed cooling system which took some time to heat up after the cooling water coming thru the pipes was shutdown. If he hadn't had closed cooling he would have seen the engine temps go up a lot qucker I'll bet. KE's pipes, as well as staniless steel pipes do not run well without water. Stainless can be prone to cracking after being overheated. An alarm is definetly a good idea.