stupid intake question >

stupid intake question

Notices

stupid intake question

Old 01-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 390 Likes on 127 Posts
Default stupid intake question

getting ready to order intakes for the 540's I am finishing up and not sure what I want. need a single plane dominator pattern. on one of the engine masters they compared 4 intakes but all I can see is the preview as I dont have any streaming services. not sure if anyone here saw the episode or can watch it and give the full results. short take from it is that the Brodix bested the Dart (best to worst) by 50+ hp. but the Brodix was also the only one with a turtle in it so not sure what that contributed. finishing order in the show was Brodix, Profiler, Edelbrock, and worst was the Dart. what is everyone running, what has anyone seen in the real world between them and what are the thoughts on the turtle? curious to also know what the Brodix did with uniformity cyl. to cyl. as the Dart was from 14.1 afr on some down to 10.5 afr on others. looking forward to some real world results. fyi, motors are 548 ci, 10.3 compression with Dart 360 heads and 1150 holley dominators.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 2,567 Likes on 710 Posts
Talking

Spend the $7 and buy a month of motortrend you cheap a$$!
Old 01-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 101 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
Spend the $7 and buy a month of motortrend you cheap a$$!
haha no **** - building dart headed 540sÖ lol

dont take it personally OP!
Old 01-03-2022, 08:52 PM
Registered

its not really the $7 but that where I live it would take 2 hours to down load it. my internet carrier pigeon is slow as can be. I am one step away from being Mr. Douglas on green acres climbing the pole for a phone signal. seriously tho all it would tell me is if the distribution is better as the other three did not have a turtle in them. so question begs, is the turtle the answer? would the profiler have done the best with one or is the Brodix that much better than the others?
The following 3 users liked this post by compedgemarine:
Gimme Fuel (01-05-2022), SB (01-03-2022), TomZ (01-04-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 2,567 Likes on 710 Posts

omg Green Acres , I haven`t thought about that show for years but used to watch it when I was younger all the time., Mr. Douglas ! wow that brings me back.
So no Roku or any streaming services!? How do you live?! lol
I believe the turtle was worth it if I recall .
Old 01-03-2022, 09:56 PM
Registered

I live very peacefully when at home, no one can call me on my cell as I have no service so they all have to wait till the next day. does suck some times but I like the quiet. Brodix makes a turtle for the victor jr and the weiand team g but I have had no luck finding any comparison with and without other than "seems like it did this". I wish that on engine masters they had done a comparison of all with and all without to see which was really the best. seems like the turtle would help with the flat floor on single plane intakes but all the tests seem to be apples to oranges.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,179 Likes on 629 Posts

When I was looking and researching for intakes I finally bought the Brodix hv2001ís. Builds are similar to yours. Although the guy who tunes up my heads was a little apprehensive about them when he had down on the bench. I then started to go back to what I originally was looking to do and the was TR. Good luck finding any right now. Iím headed down today to the speed shop where my short blocks and builder are. Heís doing a search for me on some TRís however if none readily available Iím just gonna stick with my Brodix but there just gonna require a fair amount of work. But thatís no matter what choice. Head guy was wanting to test the profiler. My intake ports are much smaller than std rec. A friend of mine here also changed over from ported dart 4150 platform (509ís) to the Brodix 2001 untouched and pick up very noticeable gains.

The SP Brodix is unreal on my SBC 421! Insane response!

Soon as my heads are done weíll be in the dyno and let you know. Iíll probably be be comparing both the Brodix and profiler unless rams become available. Both intakes will have a fair amount of work done to them them to have a true comp.

Last edited by getrdunn; 01-04-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-04-2022, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm running the Brodix on my 524, I got it based on a recommendation from Ron at Dynamic Speed and Marine. They've built a ton of engines and that's what they recommend. I did find that a 1" 4 hole tapered spacer and a 1" open spacer made a noticeable difference. I am running a 1000cfm custom 4150 carb. I also did some work on the intake to make the taper even from the plenum to midway down the intake port on my AFR heads I didn't want any sudden transitions to cause fuel separation. I don't have wideband O2's or EGT sensors, but my plug coloring is identical on all plugs. The motor has enough torque to break a labbed 30P Bravo prop loose at 30mph. Once the motor hits 3000rpm the acceleration is exhilarating.
The following 2 users liked this post by ThisIsLivin:
1983ScarabIII (03-05-2022), getrdunn (01-05-2022)