12 v cooler box VS dc fridge

Notices

12 v cooler box VS dc fridge

Old 01-18-2022, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4102792

Here’s what I have just in black. Looks like they have a fancier SS model if you scroll down that’s ac/dc
tks - don’t need SS. They have a good latch?
Old 01-18-2022, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I’ve never had a problem with it opening. I was looking at it closer and it does look like the plastic door model is ac/dc as well.
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 1,829 Likes on 716 Posts

Very cool.

Never seen these before.

The ones that killed my batteries were real fridges.
Tiny, like a dorm fridge but ate batteries as I do a lot of over nights on the hook = no AC power.

That listing shows only 2.5 amp draw at 12 V’s WITH the compressor running!

Sounds like it will hold a case of beer.

What else needs to stay cold anyway!

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4102792

Here’s what I have just in black. Looks like they have a fancier SS model if you scroll down that’s ac/dc
getrdunn (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Very cool.

Never seen these before.

Tiny, like a dorm fridge but ate batteries as I do a lot of over nights on the hook = no AC power.

Are you going to run lithium batteries? I’m tempted by the ability to put at least 200amp hours in the boat. But there’s the price, some controversy over whether they can start and are compatible with the charging system, and the fire risk. The light weight is nice.
Twin O/B Sonic (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:59 AM
Registered

Not at this point.

I’m adding shore power to the boat for the weekends we’re at dock and we have a routine for on the hook.

Soon as we’re at anchor w/motors off, I shut down one battery.
Thats our get out of jail free card in case we leave something on over night.

I struggled w/DC coffee pots killing the battery (I must have morning coffee!) until switching to an AC pot and installing an inverter.
Works perfect!

We also carry two coolers.
One under each bolster.
One is bar, one is fridge.

If careful, we can get a weekend on one load of ice.

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Are you going to run lithium batteries? I’m tempted by the ability to put at least 200amp hours in the boat. But there’s the price, some controversy over whether they can start and are compatible with the charging system, and the fire risk. The light weight is nice.
getrdunn (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
Very cool.

Never seen these before.

Same here - until icdedppl’s post. Sliding out and looking in much nicer I think anyway. Preference I guess but I think it would be perfect. I kinda do the same as you and many times have no clue where I’m gonna drop anchor at the end of the day/eve. I like to wing it but yeah Turing s battery off 👌. I bought a real small champion generator for misc use and would be kinda slick to take on overnight trips. Hadn’t really thought about it til now but it’s small and weighs about 25 pds.
Twin O/B Sonic (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 PM
Registered

My boats only 25’ so a generator and drawer cooler w/a remote mounted compressor……..

Ive been keeping track of weight on my project, (as in truck scales) and it’s pretty much structurally/functionally complete enough to head to the scales but……., I’m skeered!

Yrs back I had a small cruiser, 28’ and we experimented w/a tiny generator.
6 or 800 watts I think??

I towed a dinghy behind that boat so I thought……., on the hook, generator to the dinghy….., 50’ of extension cord/tow line……, no muss no fuss, no noise ???

Did not work.
Wouldnt even make coffee on morning after 😂

On switching the batteries, that’s what the real cruisers do.
As in, live aboard.

Basically use one as “house” battery and one as starting.

On the bigger/real cruisers, they’ll carry 4 batteries.

One starting battery for each motor, then two 6 volt deep cycle (like golf cart) batteries wired in series.
You end up w/12 V’s but twice the amperage capacity as two 12 V’s wired in parallel.

Those two 6 V’s become their “house” battery that they switch to on the hook.

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Same here - until icdedppl’s post. Sliding out and looking in much nicer I think anyway. Preference I guess but I think it would be perfect. I kinda do the same as you and many times have no clue where I’m gonna drop anchor at the end of the day/eve. I like to wing it but yeah Turing s battery off 👌. I bought a real small champion generator for misc use and would be kinda slick to take on overnight trips. Hadn’t really thought about it til now but it’s small and weighs about 25 pds.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 01-19-2022 at 07:34 PM.
J-Bonz (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

To run small things while not on shore power I’d look into one of these batter power supplies instead of a generator.

Amazon Amazon

There’s some smaller than the one in the link, some bigger. I have I believe I have the 288wh model that I use to run some small electronic test equipment in the field and it’s very impressive. Can even get a solar panel for recharging!
Twin O/B Sonic (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 06:47 AM
Registered

Yep.

I have an inverter in my 25’ Checkmate and love it.

Had one in the wife’s 25’ Checkmate too.

It has a low voltage shut off, just in case….

I use it to make coffee in morning.

What many don’t realize though, especially for weekending on a boat, it draws current even when turned off.

A buddy had one wired direct, to the two batteries in his Sea Ray.
So during a long, none use period, w/the battery switch off, it ate both his near new batteries.

I tested mine one weekend by using it (no shore power) to make a pot of coffee Sat and Sun mornings, leaving the inverter on but in stand by mode (huge help), all weekend, and tried starting the 454 Mag on that battery.
Could tell it was cranking slower than normal but fired right up.

I was way impressed!

To run small things while not on shore power I’d look into one of these batter power supplies instead of a generator.

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Po...646241&sr=8-11

There’s some smaller than the one in the link, some bigger. I have I believe I have the 288wh model that I use to run some small electronic test equipment in the field and it’s very impressive. Can even get a solar panel for recharging!
Old 01-20-2022, 09:08 AM
Registered

https://www.amazon.com/EF-ECOFLOW-Po...646241&sr=8-11

Good call. The solar charge would be a bonus for my kind of roughing it. I got one of those little cheesy solar panels as a free gift from some purchase. It’s for charging cell phones and has a couple USB ports. To my surprise it works great and even charges quicker than ac or dc. Not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes but thinner also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.