What engine is this? >

What engine is this?

Notices

What engine is this?

Old 07-07-2022, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Those look like early-mid 90s Chevy LT1/LT4 valve covers, Corvette variant.
Those are kind of neat looking. I am building a small block right now with the late model heads and I think I am going to try and find a set.

Apparently they are Composite, not Aluminum. And pricey

Last edited by BillK; 07-07-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp274
What fuel system would be best?
A MARINE fuel system. That plastic fuel filter is a time bomb waiting to go off.

While the eng itself is basically a car eng, almost everything else attached to it is specially designed for a boat.
This includes fuel delivery system, carb, alternator, starter, exhaust and cooling system.

Fuel delivery sys should include a metal filter/water separator and fuel hoses rated for use in the eng compartment of a boat. Mechanical fuel pump, if equipped, should have a separate hose connecting fuel pump to carb in case the diaphragm ruptures.
Carb should be marine style and have a J-tube for float bowl vent (and the throttle shaft bushings are tighter on marine version).
Alternator and starter for marine applications are specially designed to not arc and cause an explosion if fuel vapors are present.
If that's an automotive water pump, it won't last very long in a boat pumping pure water.

Remove the air filter and take a pic of the carb..

You can post pics after 10 posts. Just make a series of posts saying post 6, post 7, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by zz28zz:
bajaman (07-08-2022), Helmwurst (07-08-2022)
Old 07-07-2022, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-08-2022 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has a electric fuel pump
Old 07-07-2022, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BillK
Anything to get rid of those rubber hoses and the plastic fuel filter. The Coast Guard would probably have a field day with that. I imagine the best thing would be the factory metal line. Does it have the mechanical fuel pump or is it electric ?
The plastic fuel filter is the only issue, not the rubber fuel lines, as long as they are rated for fuel.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed it as I forgot the carb has an internal filter
Old 07-08-2022, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
A MARINE fuel system. That plastic fuel filter is a time bomb waiting to go off.

While the eng itself is basically a car eng, almost everything else attached to it is specially designed for a boat.
This includes fuel delivery system, carb, alternator, starter, exhaust and cooling system.

Fuel delivery sys should include a metal filter/water separator and fuel hoses rated for use in the eng compartment of a boat. Mechanical fuel pump, if equipped, should have a separate hose connecting fuel pump to carb in case the diaphragm ruptures.
Carb should be marine style and have a J-tube for float bowl vent (and the throttle shaft bushings are tighter on marine version).
Alternator and starter for marine applications are specially designed to not arc and cause an explosion if fuel vapors are present.
If that's an automotive water pump, it won't last very long in a boat pumping pure water.

Remove the air filter and take a pic of the carb..

You can post pics after 10 posts. Just make a series of posts saying post 6, post 7, etc.
Everything stated is correct except, Quadrajets did not have J-tubes.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Everything stated is correct except, Quadrajets did not have J-tubes.
All the marine ones I've seen had a single J-tube.

Here's a bunch of different Q-jet models that all have them.
https://www.marinecarburetors.com/collections/quadrajet

Maybe were talking abt something different??
Here's what I call a J-tube:

Last edited by zz28zz; 07-08-2022 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
The plastic fuel filter is the only issue, not the rubber fuel lines, as long as they are rated for fuel.
I had to dig into this last year when I was ordering replacement fuel lines.
There are different ratings depending on where in the boat they are installed.
Type A1 is the type you're supposed to be using in the eng compartment. There's a lot of professional boat mechanics that don't know this and a lot more shade tree mechs that don't.

Fuel line and fittings

I know there are tons of boats out there running around with automotive fuel lines and they haven't burst into flame yet, but if you want it done by the book, you'll need some A1 rated fuel hose in the bilge.

BTW, If the insurance company investigator knows his $hit, he'll be looking for that when he arrives to examine your burnt boat claim. The liability isn't something I personally want to risk but to each his own.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
All the marine ones I've seen had a single J-tube.

Here's a bunch of different Q-jet models that all have them.
https://www.marinecarburetors.com/collections/quadrajet

Maybe were talking abt something different??
Here's what I call a J-tube:

I've seen replacement carbs like the one you pictured. The motors in my '92 are original and have never been opened up. I rebuilt the 2 quads about 3 years ago and they did not have J tubes, and I wondered why. I went back and looked at couple older Service Manuals and neither one shows the J tubes. I agree they should have something. Only possibility is the vent tube is cut at an angle to flow into the primary side if it did stick open.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.