Recent 500 efi injector test vs another claimed replacement >

Recent 500 efi injector test vs another claimed replacement

Notices

Recent 500 efi injector test vs another claimed replacement

Old 08-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 707 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
If you have mefi3, Id just use it and have it tuned. I recently dynoed a 540, AFR 325 heads, mefi3 controller, extrude honed/modified intake, a tb I bored out and made throttle blades for and with a fairly small cam from Bob M it made over 700 ft lbs of tq and 650 hp, Smitty
All that was done to the intake was extrude hone?

How big did you bore the throttles out?

That would be plenty for my 32,,,,,, I mean 27 fountain
Old 08-11-2022, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine View Post
I am assuming (and I dont know that much about injectors) that the listing of the injector i.e. 42 lbs or 36 lbs is what they flow at 100% duty cycle? if so, no injector is ever run at that level in an engine so it would really be a meaningless number would it not? why are they not rated at something like 70% or 80% the way camshaft duration is rated at .050 to give a more accurate measure of what is useful to the engine.
Qstat is static flow, Qdyn was flow w at 2.5/10 ms pulse width. This was Bosch terminology. I donít see any aftermarket companies showing dynamic flow.

The only time it would matter is when youíre trying to come up with a direct injector swap with out tuning.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 478 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post
Qstat is static flow, Qdyn was flow w at 2.5/10 ms pulse width. This was Bosch terminology. I donít see any aftermarket companies showing dynamic flow.

The only time it would matter is when youíre trying to come up with a direct injector swap with out tuning.
which is kind of my point. lots of people dont know or dont have the ability to tune and are just putting in new injectors based off of advertising. those of use who build engines and/or understand them know the pit falls but most dont. seems to me that if they all listed the flow at x ms pulse width and psi you would have a better idea of compatibility. I am not that versed in injectors as most of what I deal with are old cars and carbs or big power and carbs. on my '60 caddy that I put an LS into I just bought new delco injectors that are the same part number as I took out since it does not have any mods. I looked at lots of injectors but did not feel comfortable that they would perform the same as the originals.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Iím so impressed thanks for sharing Smitty. Even an old guy like myself never stops learning. I had no idea until I read your threads. Priceless 😀
articfriends (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 465 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
All that was done to the intake was extrude hone?

How big did you bore the throttles out?

That would be plenty for my 32,,,,,, I mean 27 fountain
Intake runners were cut down 1/2 to 3/4 inch, runners extrude honed, plenum ground out to meet the bigger tb. I been cutting the runners down 2, 21/2" , hand blending and port matching/touching up the ports where I can reach to get these mpis to pull 200 to 400 more rpms (tallking good heads, cam, exhaust, tb, etc) BUT I have yet to come anywhere close to the torque this motor made NA with a mpi. So time to digest the details of THIS build for future builds. It fell off a cliff after 5600 but with the power it made, who ncares This was also tuned on 89 octane fwiw, Smitty
Gimme Fuel (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 707 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
Intake runners were cut down 1/2 to 3/4 inch, runners extrude honed, plenum ground out to meet the bigger tb. I been cutting the runners down 2, 21/2" , hand blending and port matching/touching up the ports where I can reach to get these mpis to pull 200 to 400 more rpms (tallking good heads, cam, exhaust, tb, etc) BUT I have yet to come anywhere close to the torque this motor made NA with a mpi. So time to digest the details of THIS build for future builds. It fell off a cliff after 5600 but with the power it made, who ncares This was also tuned on 89 octane fwiw, Smitty
Good info thank you. I remember you saying you wanted to play around with the stock (sort of) intakes. Those results were on a MPI correct not a HP500EFI intake?
Old 08-12-2022, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

It's concerning to me how much I read about injectors that are new and not up to par and or the spec that they are advertised to be. Seems like a lot of poor quality junk out there too. I guess it would be a good idea to have new injectors tested always before installation.
Wildman_grafix (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
Good info thank you. I remember you saying you wanted to play around with the stock (sort of) intakes. Those results were on a MPI correct not a HP500EFI intake?
502 mpi intake, I been playing with them for almost 18 years, made 1100 +hp with one at one point, never made 700 ft lbs of tq w one na though till now
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
DrFeelgood (08-12-2022), Wildman_grafix (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder View Post
It's concerning to me how much I read about injectors that are new and not up to par and or the spec that they are advertised to be. Seems like a lot of poor quality junk out there too. I guess it would be a good idea to have new injectors tested always before installation.
these 42 lb Lucas injectors were OK, they just had way different charteristics then 36 lb stock, 12% more static and 50, 60 % more in lower ms test.
I test every set of injectors I sell and have tested quite a few oem replacements thru the years
SB (08-12-2022)