I saw drive oil in my bilge

Notices

I saw drive oil in my bilge

Old 11-30-2002, 10:56 PM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi James,

Fluids in the bilge and their origin are much like chasing a roof leak. Where you see the leak evidence isn't necessarily where it's coming from. If your drive fluid is indeed leaking into the bellows it will run forward and thus you'll find it under your engine, ahead of your engine, wherever the forces of gravity and any water in your bilge takes it.

Cord's suggestions are right on target as well. I haven't met him but he's obviously been there done that and a good source of info.

The fitting in the inner transom plate is a plastic snap on type. It has a small o ring and the whole piece is pretty fragile. If you were working in that area or somehow standing in that area you might have hit that fitting and cracked it.

Let us know what you find out.

Steve
Old 12-02-2002, 11:11 AM
Registered

It seems unlikely that enough oil would expand to overflow the drive bottle from just heat. (Unless it was overfilled to begin with) And if you see oil in the bilge the oil level should be going down, not up! Could you have some water making its way into your drive and pushing the oil level through the vent on the cap?

It might be worth a look at the drain plug on behind the prop.

Steve
Old 12-02-2002, 11:53 AM
JGB
Registered

thanks stevl, haven't though of that.

I did run the boat this weekend, and the problem persisted. I couldn't see where the oil was coming (can't fit in there either to look closely at things)from and didn't think is was oozing from the resevoir. So as per our discussions i assume there is a leak somewhere going through the bellows or maybe a leak in the hose connecting the resevoir to the drive. what i do know for sure is that something is not right with that side because the other side does not act the same way. I will be away for a couple of weeks and plan on scheduling the boat for service upon my return.

thank you all for sharing

james
Old 08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered

I had a similiar problem with my 525 EFI drive oil in the bildge. It turned out to be the shaft seal in the drive it would leak into the bellows then run down the inside of the transom. Had the seal replaced and it seams to be OK now. Good luck
Old 08-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem just after changing my drive oil. Somehow, I misplaced the gasket on the resevoir bottle cap and did not realize it. I had oil leaking into the bilge, Pressure checked everything OK, switched caps and the problem moved with the cap. Looked over the cap and found the gasket missing. Problem solved.