No oil pressure for 30-45 seconds

Notices

No oil pressure for 30-45 seconds

Old 09-04-2023, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tartilla
Good call on checking oil filter for debris. Make sure you get.one of the can opener style oil filter tools. Cutting it open with a zip grinder makes it really hard not to add debris from the zip wheel.

I health check mine at every oil change.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Dan that sure beats my tin snips!
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1,208 Likes on 581 Posts

Years ago I ran my Panther without oil for about 1/2 mile (30-40 sec) trying to figure what alarm was going off. Apparently the oil filter spun off and drained all of my oil in my bilge. Put another filter on, ran it, cut it open and decided it was good to go. Never an issue. Don't know how the filter came loose, because when removing them for oil changes you'd think they were welded on. I think someone was trying to sabotage me...
Old 09-05-2023, 08:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Years ago I ran my Panther without oil for about 1/2 mile (30-40 sec) trying to figure what alarm was going off. Apparently the oil filter spun off and drained all of my oil in my bilge. Put another filter on, ran it, cut it open and decided it was good to go. Never an issue. Don't know how the filter came loose, because when removing them for oil changes you'd think they were welded on. I think someone was trying to sabotage me...
This exact thing happened to a buddy of mine in his hustler...it had the sideways mounted 500 efi style thermostat heads and he swears it's because he ran a long K&N filter instead of the short filter. Claims the extra weight made it come loose...I didn't buy it considering I had the same style and ran long wix filters with no issues....who knows. He wasn't so lucky however and it cost him a motor by the time he realized it and shut it down.

To the OP...all above advice sounds perfect to me. No noises and check the filter for bearing material and if clean send it! Lol
Old 09-05-2023, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Dan that sure beats my tin snips!
I have the same type of tool. Makes getting into the filter quick and easy.
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (09-05-2023)
Old 09-05-2023, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

FWIW way back when we had an old chevy wagon we were going to use for a beater drag car so we didnt need the I6 engine but someone wanted the oil pan off it. we got bored on night after pulling the pan off and fired it up and let it sit out in the field with no pan on it. it idled for 30 minutes or more before it got so hot it was glowing and we shut it down before we caught the field on fire so 20 or 30 seconds is probably not the end of the world. on the flip side we raced in the Bahama's one year and the dry sump belt broke so the throttleman shut it down. owner asked what the problem was and then said "I have never liked this set of engines so go ahead and run and we will see if it makes the last straight away to the finish." for the record an open class engine will run 47 seconds at 7800 rpm with no oil pressure. yes it was a catastrophic failure that I had to clean up.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I lost oil pressure on my last engine for a very short period of time . Guardian mode shut me down.
Bearings looked like $hit and it didn`t last long after that.
That being said I was under power , just hit a huge wave and it launched the boat , came down to earth with no oil pressure.
next day fird right up with good oil pressure .. weird.

I got evidence :-)

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 09-05-2023 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I health check mine at every oil change.

Nice setup. I have System 1 filters, but I'm not sure yet how I want to employ them. 'Gotta check the screen micron first. I was planning on full filter no bypass with parallel filters.

I got bit once by oil bypass. Rather not have it happen again.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I lost oil pressure on my last engine for a very short period of time . Guardian mode shut me down.
Bearings looked like $hit and it didn`t last long after that.
That being said I was under power , just hit a huge wave and it launched the boat , came down to earth with no oil pressure.
next day fird right up with good oil pressure .. weird.

I got evidence :-)
Photos like that are priceless.

On tear down...did you ever find the cause of the oil pressure loss?

That would drive me batty...

Similar to the Gen6 7.4 L29 Merc core I'm tearing down. Owner claimed oil pressure dropped to 10psi. 600hrs on it. So he just changed out the long block. Now I'm tearing it down looking for evidence of low oil pressure. Have not seen anything yet. I did see the front main gallery plugs have weep holes on them for the timing chain. Rod and main bearings look ok so far.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
FWIW way back when we had an old chevy wagon we were going to use for a beater drag car so we didnt need the I6 engine but someone wanted the oil pan off it. we got bored on night after pulling the pan off and fired it up and let it sit out in the field with no pan on it. it idled for 30 minutes or more before it got so hot it was glowing and we shut it down before we caught the field on fire so 20 or 30 seconds is probably not the end of the world. on the flip side we raced in the Bahama's one year and the dry sump belt broke so the throttleman shut it down. owner asked what the problem was and then said "I have never liked this set of engines so go ahead and run and we will see if it makes the last straight away to the finish." for the record an open class engine will run 47 seconds at 7800 rpm with no oil pressure. yes it was a catastrophic failure that I had to clean up.
This straight up reminds me of the Brownie's Bites short stories. Thank you for sharing.