Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Lifter making noise >

Lifter making noise

Notices

Lifter making noise

Old 09-26-2023, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 4,409 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Those lifters are junk. I would not replace just one set and have to worry about when the next set fails and takes out the entire engine.
Whats more expensive, set of lifters and pushrods or an engine rebuild?
That being said he has no idea what`s wrong so who knows what it is.. just a guessing game at this point
The following 2 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
articfriends (09-27-2023), Gimme Fuel (10-09-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Those lifters are junk. I would not replace just one set and have to worry about when the next set fails and takes out the entire engine.

That being said he has no idea what`s wrong so who knows what it is.. just a guessing game at this point
Both you and Tom make good points. It's true that I don't know the exact problem yet. Will remove the intake this weekend and find out. I am leaning towards replacing the lifters but will wait to find out the exact problem and go from there. Thanks as always for your input.
Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 911 Likes on 327 Posts

I'll bet a dollar it is a stuck plunger. had that happen on at least one of several sets of comp lifters which is why I refuse to use them. the last one was a flat tappet motor with about an hour of run time. I pulled the lifter and was able to get it apart and polished the bore and the edge of the plunger and it is still working but I have limited faith in the rest of them.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Last time I used a set of comps was shortly after graduating high school so been a while.

Anyone know who makes them for comp this day and age?

When my builds were in the dream stage the lifter subject was on roids so I went solid and never looked back. Really glad I did and just ck lash once a season! The solids in a couple of my muscle cars rarely need an adjustment when I ck those about every other year now.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The cost of machining a block to accept .904 lifters isn`t bad . The lfiters a bit more expensive but they are quite a bit beefier than a .842, thats the route I went .

https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads...fters.1809794/

my old comp craps on the left ,Morels on the right.

so far so good.
Chrysler got that right with the .904 lifter size. Probably why theyre more expensive. My auto teacher is a Chrysler guy and that was one of the discussions we had in class..... comparisons between Chevrolet and Fords.

Im just here for the lifter discussion, were upgrading a friends boat this winter and dont want to go the wrong way.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Lifter issues (IF thats even what you got going on) have became a real big deal in past 10-15 years. Heres my experience/opinion on it: I used Morel lifters (hyd rollers) when they became a "thing" back in 05/06, running 180/195 seat and close to 500 lbs open up to 6300 in my own blower engine WITH 20/W 50 oil. Never had a tick or issue. Retired them at every refresh interval at about 100 hours. Also used them in quite a few customers builds with no issues regardless of oil weight. Fast forward, no matter what lies CHRIS S####B, JOHN C#####S perpetuate, around 2014 they changed something. They sped up production, sent lifter bodies to Mexico or China, IDK BUT they started having failures , plungers failing/sticking. tie bars breaking, roller wheels disintegrating. CHRIS SXXXXB in conversation on FB made THIS statement: They ONLY have 1 pair of lifters out of a 1000 sets that fail, thats funny because I flow/clean injectors for several other engine builder/dyno guys in this business and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS HAD FAILURES and will never buy Morels again. The comps are a step below, seen guys have failures on street engines before 5000 miles with them.
As far as hyd flat tappets, the ONLY engines I build with them anymore are class rule engines that dictate you run them (which is rare for me), and I wont warranty them in any way, shape or form. I put it in writing that any failure is customers problem and make them sign it as cam core/lifter construction has went right in the trash..Ive used johnson lifters successfully in last 40 or 50 mild bbcs ive built with no isuues.
I had one customer who i used the Morels with from that 2014/2015 era, in 2019/2020 Bob M who had sold them to me asked if customer had any issues with them. I said NO except they were noisy cold. He highly recommended changing them before they failed. I mentioned this to the customer who said nah, Im selling boat soon anyways, not worried about it. a couple rides later one failed and destroyed his cam, lifter bore etc and trashed his whole engine. Was around 150 hours IF I remember correctly
I remember the great lifter debacle on here years back. Who were those 2 blanked out guys? I remember a couple banned members, perhaps i didnt know their real names. Speaking of which, what ever happened to Bob M?
Old 09-28-2023, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 1,336 Likes on 745 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Last time I used a set of comps was shortly after graduating high school so been a while.

Anyone know who makes them for comp this day and age?

When my builds were in the dream stage the lifter subject was on roids so I went solid and never looked back. Really glad I did and just ck lash once a season! The solids in a couple of my muscle cars rarely need an adjustment when I ck those about every other year now.
Once a year = hour many hours? Being in Florida I am more concerned about run times, pretty easy to put 100 plus hours on. Heck I have put 100 on my little boat since June.

Then again, everywhere takes longer to get there in it
Old 09-30-2023, 05:09 PM
Registered

Mystery has been solved. Got the intake off and it looks like the plunger is stuck. Push rod looked fine. Cam lobe looked fine too. I am going to order a replacement set and button this up.

The following 2 users liked this post by PQ290Enticer:
87MirageIntruder (10-02-2023), articfriends (10-01-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 911 Likes on 327 Posts

that was my guess so do I get my dollar now?
Old 09-30-2023, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
that was my guess so do I get my dollar now?
You were absolutely correct. There is however no prize. Saving up for new props Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.