Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adjustable push rod guides >

Adjustable push rod guides

Notices

Adjustable push rod guides

Old 03-08-2024, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Griff, since we're on the topic...just to clarify on the rocker alignment... narrower contact sweep roughly in the center is better than wider sweep that is perfectly centered?

This is also a factor of what can live on a street or perf engine vs sustained high rpm on a marine app.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (03-13-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts

LOLOLOLOLMFAO!!!! danny, danny, danny. WTF are you doing posting on my thread?? You are obviously not here to help. Practicing your comedy act??? Based on the post, it needs a lot of work.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tartilla
Griff, since we're on the topic...just to clarify on the rocker alignment... narrower contact sweep roughly in the center is better than wider sweep that is perfectly centered?

This is also a factor of what can live on a street or perf engine vs sustained high rpm on a marine app.
Thanks for your comment however no surprise, I'm not following your post. I am just trying to center the rocker (left to right) over the valve tip. The other centering you are talking about is the push rod length affecting where it rides front to back?
Old 03-08-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Tartilla

Yes, that is my belief, but the sweep amount should remain pretty constant
Old 03-08-2024, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 288 Likes on 178 Posts

I've seen where swapping rockers from spot to spot can "fix" side-to-side alignment of the roller on the valve tip. I know it makes no sense. They should all be exactly the same, but my Comp Pro-Magnum full roller rockers were like that. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyeballs.

Last edited by zz28zz; 03-09-2024 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:47 AM
Registered

Hey danny, I stand corrected about your comedy. I see that 2 guys "liked" your comedic post however I have it from a very reliable anonymous source that they also like to get together and watch Pauly Shore movies because they think he is hilarious too soooo........
Old 03-09-2024, 12:24 PM
Registered

Lol!!! I will never give up his name especially not on this site. If you care to look on previous threads, only one person thought I would be okay with the builds "as is" and he was correct. To be fair to him, he too would not build any marine engine to the spec's of my engines. The rest of you acted like an old fashioned lynch mob. My guy doesn't build like ewe therefor lets put him out of business!! Had the same sh!t happen when I had a lifter problem. It was said that Comp makes the worse lifters out there, here are some "pics and everything" of failed comp lifters proving that they have an inferior product and obviously they too should be put out of business!! I countered those statements with very specific questions about their builds and all went silent. I do believe that the failed comp lifters they selected andused were never meant for their particular application whether it was a target rpm they wanted to run, valve spring pressure or I'm sure many other reasons that I have no idea about. This seems to me more like a failure on their part to select the correct part(s) for the application and not a comp lifter problem.
Ryanw, Unlike me, I,m sure you (or anyone else on this site) would ask or request your engine(s) be assembled using your known parameters. None of which I did and it should be noticed that in the face of almost everyone's opinion here, my "horrific builds" (as stated on another thread) ran strong and reliable all season long and I look forward to many years of great service from them. The lifter issue had absolutely nothing to do with my builder and you guys know that.
As another layer of defense from my builder, I mentioned he wasn't really a boat guy. The only reason he took my builds on was because during "the covid" no parts were available for all of the customer engines at his shop but I had been collecting my parts for over a year and had everything ready to go so again, really no reason for a name.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

I know of plenty of builds that made it through a season or two and then had catastrophic failures deemed to have been caused by assembly and clearance issues after they were tore down.
When they make it past 250 hrs, and for your sake, I hope they do, I'll be a believer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Griff:
endeavor1 (03-09-2024), ICDEDPPL (03-13-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I know of plenty of builds that made it through a season or two and then had catastrophic failures deemed to have been caused by assembly and clearance issues after they were tore down.
When they make it past 250 hrs, and for your sake, I hope they do, I'll be a believer.
Thanks for your comment Griff . I was wondering if there was a "once you make it here you're probably safe" number. If there is a failure, I will not hesitate to post it here. Thanks again for your guidance and help along the way.
Old 03-09-2024, 01:25 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,131 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Thanks for your comment however no surprise, I'm not following your post. I am just trying to center the rocker (left to right) over the valve tip. The other centering you are talking about is the push rod length affecting where it rides front to back?
3 ways to handle this.
1) cut pushrod guide plate. Move 2 halves to where proper placement is, then weld 2 pieces together.
2) Buy/use adjustable guideplates
3) Do nothing. Your motor/you (or you and builders) decision.

Rocker stud bosses are rarely in same exact spot from head to head…even with same manufacturer.

1 and 3 where the common choices. 2 became a choice because they finally became available. 15 yrs ago or so ? 20 ?

They’ve been available for sbc’s since i can remember. Back to the flinstone ages.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.