Adjustable push rod guides >

Adjustable push rod guides

Notices

Adjustable push rod guides

Old 03-02-2024, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Adjustable push rod guides

Do ALL aftermarket aluminum heads require adjustable push rod guides?
Old 03-02-2024, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Don't think all 'need' them.

Just remember the adjustable guide plates are meant to be welded together once they're setup.
Old 03-02-2024, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Shaft rockers is the other option.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
Shaft rockers is the other option.
Thanks for your comment and suggestion however I already bought the adjustable ones. I wouldn't have known that there was an alignment issue except I had a lifter fail. During that repair I posted a few pics of the collapsed lifter and several people here noticed that my rockers were not even close to being centered on the valve tip. Turns out the AFR 265cc heads require the adjustable guides and I was just wondering if the other manufacturers required them too. I think my builder should have called me during the assembly and told me he needed the adjustable ones. I think he would take care of me "labor wise" but I know the first sentence out of his mouth will be pull the engines and drop them off and that is not going to happen. So I'm going to find out just how much of a PIA this is to do.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

It's not bad and I have never welded any that I installed. There are pros and cons on whether to weld them or not, but Dart did not want me to weld mine. And I had never read of a failure due to not welding them.
https://blog.dartheads.com/how-to-in...ig-block-chevy
The following users liked this post:
SB (03-06-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for your comment and suggestion however I already bought the adjustable ones. I wouldn't have known that there was an alignment issue except I had a lifter fail. During that repair I posted a few pics of the collapsed lifter and several people here noticed that my rockers were not even close to being centered on the valve tip. Turns out the AFR 265cc heads require the adjustable guides and I was just wondering if the other manufacturers required them too. I think my builder should have called me during the assembly and told me he needed the adjustable ones. I think he would take care of me "labor wise" but I know the first sentence out of his mouth will be pull the engines and drop them off and that is not going to happen. So I'm going to find out just how much of a PIA this is to do.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
I put adjustable guide plates on just about every set of after market heads. Also, I don’t know the last time I ordered a new set of AFR’s and they didn’t come with adjustable guide plates and studs…..🧐.

The AFR guide plates don’t need to be welded if you know what you are doing. But it is good piece of mind.

This can totally be done in the boat. It’s not that difficult. Where are you located?

Last edited by Precision; 03-03-2024 at 07:18 PM.
SB (03-06-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I've cut and welded guide plates on stock gm heads.if you weld them,make sure to etch the cylinder they were on.
The following 4 users liked this post by sutphen 30:
articfriends (03-04-2024), PQ290Enticer (03-04-2024), Precision (03-03-2024), SB (03-06-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
I put adjustable guide plates on just about every set of after market heads. Also, I don’t know the last time I ordered a new set of AFR’s and they didn’t come with adjustable guide plates and studs…..🧐.

The AFR guide plates don’t need to be welded if you know what you are doing. But it is good piece of mind.

This can totally be done in the boat. It’s not that difficult. Where are you located?
I ordered them through Summit also it was during "The Covid" so probably SOP went out the window? My builder did ask why if they are necessary, why weren't they included? I too believe this is how it should have worked.
I've been putting this off ever since my post about the lifter and the alignment was pointed out. It's a PIA to even get started. I have to remove the back seat assembly so I can get a socket on the crank bolt. When I replaced the lifters on #5 it took forever to get the cam in the right position with the seat still installed. I am pretty sure I can get it done and I do have 2-3 months so confidence is high.
I will not hesitate to reach out for help if needed. Thanks for all the replies.
articfriends (03-05-2024)
Old 03-05-2024, 11:33 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My builder did ask why if they are necessary, why weren't they included?
Why wouldn't a professional engine builder already know this and why didn't he realize that the rocker alignment was significantly off and correct it???
The following 5 users liked this post by Griff:
articfriends (03-06-2024), Brad Christy (03-06-2024), ICDEDPPL (03-06-2024), SB (03-06-2024), the deep (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 06:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Why wouldn't a professional engine builder already know this and why didn't he realize that the rocker alignment was significantly off and correct it???
Good questions Griff. ( I was hoping that this thread would just die out )
Everyone on here knows that I am not an engine builder and FYI, I don't understand a lot of the "tech talk" here whether its engines, props, or whatever. Unfortunately for my boat, I do like to do as much of the work myself as possible. Whether I should or not is another question. Anyway, I like to think that I am learning ........and then this happens.
I pulled the valve covers on the first engine and low and behold, it already has the adjustable guide plates. The exact adjustable guide plates that I just bought again from AFR. ("AFR Racing Pushrod Guide plates 6109-8")
I don't know why the alignment was off on many of them. It's a larger shop and he has a guy that does the assembly. I do think the alignment should have been better. Maybe even though the alignment wasn't perfect, they would have gone 1,000 hrs anyways? My understanding is the higher the rpm, the more critical this is? By todays standards my engines are pretty low key and not high rpm mills. Anyway, I went through the first engine and have them all decently centered now.
I realize that it's sh!t like this that makes me look like a lost cause but believe me, I am someone that really needs and benefits from the knowledge base on this site and I hope you will continue to help me as I go along.
Thanks again for all the help with this........situation.
The following 5 users liked this post by PQ290Enticer:
articfriends (03-06-2024), Knot 4 Me (03-06-2024), sutphen 30 (03-06-2024), the deep (03-06-2024), TomZ (03-15-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.