Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
"Stainless Headers Inc." Marine Muffler Inserts - any experience? Like GGB Extreme? >

"Stainless Headers Inc." Marine Muffler Inserts - any experience? Like GGB Extreme?

Notices

"Stainless Headers Inc." Marine Muffler Inserts - any experience? Like GGB Extreme?

Old 04-30-2024, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Stainless Headers Inc." Marine Muffler Inserts - any experience? Like GGB Extreme?

I stumbled on these today: Stainless Headers Mfg. Inc. Marine Insert Muffler

Has anyone used these? Was hard to search the keywords given the number of results for "stainless headers" on here.... Curious how well they reduce the decibels and whether or not they slaughter the performance. It seems like the Hardin HCX Competition series for comparison slaughters the performance.

It seems like everyone loved the GGB Extreme inserts but they don't make them anymore and I can't find them for sale anywhere. Wondering if these could be similar. Trying to find mufflers (bolt on or inserts) for a dry exhaust application.

Here's a pic from their website:

And here's a couple pics of the GGB's for reference since I mentioned them. I think these are correct, they're the only pics I found online from nearly 20 years ago:

Last edited by RockyS18; 05-01-2024 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:33 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The Stainless Headers inserts sure look like what GGB inserts used to look like.

Here are the Stainless Header ones . Pic from their site:

Old 05-01-2024, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much HP? ID of your tailpipe?
Old 05-02-2024, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSXCJ
How much HP? ID of your tailpipe?
​​​​​​
1000hp. I have water jacketed headers and tailpipes that exit out the top of my hatch, with the water outlet redirected to the transom. The tailpipe OD is 4.5", which I could bolt a muffler on to stick high out of my hatch, or I could install some additional piping to slide inserts into, same effect.

To get more complicated, my water jacketed tailpipes are long/straight enough to install a slide in muffler as well, they're 3.86" ID with the jacketing. But there's a minor dimple where the water outlet is welded, and I can't drill into the jacketing, but could drill into the larger ID edge/tip of pipe right after the jacketing ends. In the tailpipes I have 11" of straight length to work with, plus I normally run turn-downs slipped on to them (to shoot exhaust back), which could give me a few extra inches to work with, but with a larger ID. Or I could do some combo of a smaller OD slip in muffler to my tailpipe if I can secure it properly, than a larger OD muffler bolted to the tailpipe. Just trying to figure out what product options I have to work with.

I'm know the dry exhaust mufflers won't work as well, and I'm sure I'll lose some power, but I just need a removable dry solution for when I'm not on the race course.

Last edited by RockyS18; 05-02-2024 at 11:57 AM.