Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is my water circulating pump dying?? >

Is my water circulating pump dying??

Notices

Is my water circulating pump dying??

Old 12-28-2002, 06:13 PM
Ric232

Default Is my water circulating pump dying??

I was just out on the lake today. I stopped to check my ignition timing and noticed that when I reved the engine up (2500-3000rpm) in neutral, a drop of water came out of the bottom of the circulating pump about every 2-3 seconds. I read somewhere else that there is a weephole down there, but I don't know anything about it.

Is this a problem? Is my circulating pump giving out?

Thanks for your help,

Old 12-28-2002, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is leaking out of the weep hole then yes the shaft seal is leaking and the bearings will fail before long. You might check the back plate on the water pump they have been known to leak also. If you pull the pump you will probably be able to see the water trail from leak point. Either way you need to fix the problem soon before it causes major problems.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:58 PM
Ric232

So, do I need to replace the entire pump, or just a seal or gasket or what?

Old 12-28-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

Ric depends if it is the pack plate gasket it is an easy fix for most of us. If it is the weep hole go buy a new one. To change that seal you need a press and more smarts thatn it is worth. Charlie
Old 12-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered

If the back plate is leaking you could make a gasket and replace it. I do not know of a seal and bearing kit if the shaft seal on the water pump is leaking. I would just replace the entire pump myself. If you are not running a water pressure gauge you might think about hooking one up at least temporary so you can check what your water pressure is. High water pressure can cause not only hose trouble but water pump leaks and premajure (spell?) water pump seal wear and leakage. I don't know how many hrs are on the pump.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:29 PM
Six Leg Dog

Also don't buy an automotive pump,it won't last,and crack the pulley bolts loose before you losen the belt tension.

Old 12-28-2002, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For those of you that are handy --- What I did was go down to NAPA and buy an automotive pump and drove the new bearing assembly out of it and into the marine housing. Took about an hour and I think it cost me $50 . Make sure to use the marine impeller
Old 12-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"For those of you that are handy --- What I did was go down to NAPA and buy an automotive pump and drove the new bearing assembly out of it and into the marine housing. Took about an hour and I think it cost me $50 ."

I guess it depends what that hour is worth to you. I can go through my receipts, but I think the last marine one I bought was not much more than that.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:58 PM
Ric232

Originally posted by paradigm shift
High water pressure can cause not only hose trouble but water pump leaks and premajure (spell?) water pump seal wear and leakage. I don't know how many hrs are on the pump.
The pump is 4 1/2 years old w/ 160 hours. Is that considered "premature failure"???

Old 12-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The last time I priced a MARINE engine water pump I thought it was like $300.

Quick Reply: Is my water circulating pump dying??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.