Charging problems >

Charging problems

Notices

Charging problems

Old 01-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging problems

I am having a problem with the starboard alternator. My gauge always reads between 10-11 volts. I had the alternator checked and it was fine. replaced the gauge and it read the same way. I'm thinking a wiring harness problem? I have heard that there is a wire going to the alternator that you can switch to a different post on the alternator so that it will think that the battery is not fully charged.??????? Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-10-2003, 09:17 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Does the voltage needle move lower when you turn on any acc switches on the dash? You probably have a bad ground in the dash harness somewhere...thats the first thing i would do is go over your connections. Make sure they are not loose or corroded. From there if it doesnt solve it you need to get a good volt meter and start working your way back towards the alt testing every so often to see what the voltage is.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup as Wally said get a good test meter and start to check thing out. First go to the battery and check voltage there. Make sure that your "excite wire" is seeing 12 volts when the engine is on (do this with the key in the run position NOT with the engine running of course). If the alternator is seeing the exite wire going to 12 volt then check the GROUNG on the alternaotor. Some just rely on the mounting area as a ground. I personally do not like this and when I see it I run a jumper wire over to the engine from the alternator. From there you will have to check your wireing. Look at all conections on the dash and on the engine plug and make sure that nothing has come loose. If you test the battery with the tester and find 14 volts then you can run jumpers up to the dash and see if you are reading the correct voltage also.

Jon